Reverse Osmosis Units

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

BSquared18

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

For my fresh water aquariums, Iā€™m getting tired of dealing with the vagaries (like that word?) of tap water. I could buy reverse osmosis water from a local pet store, but it doesnā€™t take rocket science to realize that in the long run, buying an RO unit is more cost effective.

Iā€™d appreciate any advice as to which brand/model to purchase or avoid. Any other advice for someone who has never owned an RO unit before?

Also, if you use RO water, does that mean that you donā€™t have to treat the water with Amquel or a similar product?

Thanks!!!

Bill B.

think u will find that in the long run its cheaper to use the lfs to buy the Ro water

I disagree to cryosi to a certain extent Ro units dont have to produce water all the time, i have mine connected to a 55gallon drum when its full a float switch blocks the outlet, prssurises the unit and it stops producing water and waste. I use RO water for the fish obviously drinking cooking,the works i even use it to wash the car.

I use a kent marine hi-s with the float switch kit with it i would avoild the basic units as these are a false economy measure as they need the membranes replacing more often, that and they have the same through pu of water as th bigger units RO units strip everthing from the water so yo will need an additive to replace the benificial minerals.

How much water will you be using from it once all my tanks are up and running i will be using rougly 50 gallons a week, if your only gonna use a small amount then as cryosi said it aint worth it

Just an after thought it might be worth seeing if there is a local fishkeeper that uses an ro unit and seeing if they can supply you the amount you require each week

naturally if u want advice speak to whacky ignore my rambling's i am tired and need sleep......

Hi BS18,

I've been considering getting an ro unit aswell - the kent products seem best :unsure:

Consider also that it needs to be stored untill needed and wether or not you're on metered water :eek: - also somewhere convienient to plumb it in...

You will need to buy additives. Though I seem to remember talking to lfs who said mixing in treated tap water 10-20% would be ok - maybe someone can confirm(or not -_- )

:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back