Revamping my tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Madisonkeug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all! Iā€™ve recently gotten back into fish keeping. Had a few tanks years ago but had to get rid of them when I moved out into my own place (still kept some guppies and a beta tho) Iā€™ve been fish keeping (round two) for a little over a year now again and I feel like I put these tanks together just kind of meshing together what I could have and not really sure how cohesive they are all the fish are compatible but Iā€™m just not sure these tanks are living up to their potential

This is tank #1 itā€™s been up and running for over a year now. Thereā€™s a fully grown guppy who had some issues with fun rot when I got him but heā€™s doing okay now! I rescued from my old jobs disaster of a tank lol
Inhabitants:
1x fully grown guppy 2x fry ~ 6 mo old
10x Neon Tetra
10x cherry shrimp

it has a marina slim s15 filter (uses tropical fish cartridges) would like to custom soon not sure what to use for a mix though quite yet

Substrate is a mix of fluval stratum
Shrimp & plant substrate by Aqueon
And crushed coral as I have very soft water usually but this has helped a lot!
image.jpg

Tank #2 is a 29 gal (26 gal of water in it aprox)
Has been set up for about 7 months
Inhabitants:
7 corys
4 kuhli loaches
2 Dwarf Gouramis 1male 1female
And 1 Pygmy yoyo loach (temporarily in this tank will go in the 75)

has an adjustable marina slim s25 filter with tropical cartridges again I want to custom those eventually but wanted to get it up and running well first lol!
Will be adding an air pump with an air stone!
same substrate mix of fluval stratum, Shrimp & plant substrate by Aqueon and crushed coral as I have very soft water
image.jpg

Would love some opinions on how to maximize these tanks and bring them to their full potentials! Should I add some fish to either? Are there any fish that just donā€™t fit as well and they could? I have friends in the hobby I could revoke to if I had to would just be sad! :(

let me know what you guys think

Cool tanks!

Why arenā€™t the tanks filled up to the black rim?

Cool tanks!

Why arenā€™t the tanks filled up to the black rim?
Thanks!!! I know I know I have algae in my shrimp tank but I think they like to eat it so I leave it be LOL!!! My HOB filters go down a bit below and I get more surface agitation with there being a bit of a gap for my fish to get more oxygen in the water! Also my lights in the tank #1 clip onto the black edge (also I do lose some water to evaporation before a water change I have do them on Fridays so tomorrow theyā€™ll probably get filled up closer to! Is it a bad thing?

Last edited:
Hi all! Iā€™ve recently gotten back into fish keeping. Had a few tanks years ago but had to get rid of them when I moved out into my own place (still kept some guppies and a beta tho) Iā€™ve been fish keeping (round two) for a little over a year now again and I feel like I put these tanks together just kind of meshing together what I could have and not really sure how cohesive they are all the fish are compatible but Iā€™m just not sure these tanks are living up to their potential

This is tank #1 itā€™s been up and running for over a year now. Thereā€™s a fully grown guppy who had some issues with fun rot when I got him but heā€™s doing okay now! I rescued from my old jobs disaster of a tank lol
Inhabitants:
1x fully grown guppy 2x fry ~ 6 mo old
10x Neon Tetra
10x cherry shrimp

it has a marina slim s15 filter (uses tropical fish cartridges) would like to custom soon not sure what to use for a mix though quite yet

Substrate is a mix of fluval stratum
Shrimp & plant substrate by Aqueon
And crushed coral as I have very soft water usually but this has helped a lot!
View attachment 137454

Tank #2 is a 29 gal (26 gal of water in it aprox)
Has been set up for about 7 months
Inhabitants:
7 corys
4 kuhli loaches
2 Dwarf Gouramis 1male 1female
And 1 Pygmy yoyo loach (temporarily in this tank will go in the 75)

has an adjustable marina slim s25 filter with tropical cartridges again I want to custom those eventually but wanted to get it up and running well first lol!
Will be adding an air pump with an air stone!
same substrate mix of fluval stratum, Shrimp & plant substrate by Aqueon and crushed coral as I have very soft waterView attachment 137456

Would love some opinions on how to maximize these tanks and bring them to their full potentials! Should I add some fish to either? Are there any fish that just donā€™t fit as well and they could? I have friends in the hobby I could revoke to if I had to would just be sad! :(

let me know what you guys think
Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!!! I know I know I have algae in my shrimp tank but I think they like to eat it so I leave it be LOL!!! My HOB filters go down a bit below and I get more surface agitation with there being a bit of a gap for my fish to get more oxygen in the water! Also my lights in the tank #1 clip onto the black edge (also I do lose some water to evaporation before a water change I have do them on Fridays so tomorrow theyā€™ll probably get filled up closer to! Is it a bad thing?
Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesnā€™t look as good as a tank filled all the way up.

As far as the oxygenation level goes, I would get an air stone for the tank.

Could you maybe clip the light somewhere else outside the tank?

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesnā€™t look as good as a tank filled all the way up.

As far as the oxygenation level goes, I would get an air stone for the tank.

Could you maybe clip the light somewhere else outside the tank?
I have an air stone in the 29 gallon but I did lower the water level just because my Corrys where exhibiting breeding behaviours and I read that lowering the water level and then having a drip into it like that simulates rain and then you drop the temperature by a degree and it supposed to help them breathe feel more comfortable and then breed but will be filling it up soon. As for the 15 iā€™ll try and find somewhere else to put the lights they are waterproof though so maybe I could just raise the water in just nervous lol!

I have an air stone in the 29 gallon but I did lower the water level just because my Corrys where exhibiting breeding behaviours and I read that lowering the water level and then having a drip into it like that simulates rain and then you drop the temperature by a degree and it supposed to help them breathe feel more comfortable and then breed but will be filling it up soon. As for the 15 iā€™ll try and find somewhere else to put the lights they are waterproof though so maybe I could just raise the water in just nervous lol!
Other than that, are the fish Combinations OK? Should I add more neon tetras? They are a tiny bit aggressive. I can always move neon Tetris to the larger tank however I donā€™t want to overstock.What do you think?

Hi this is a really cool pair of tanks :) How big is tank 1 sorry if I missed it in the thread? Judging by the photo I think you are probably about right with the stocking as I'd guess its about a 10-15 gallon tank? One thing to say is that the Tetras and Guppies have different requirements in water but since you've rescued the Guppies from a bad situation this is going to be a much better home for them.

In the bigger tank, when you say you have soft water, how soft? My main thing I'd suggest is swapping the substrate out for sand with fish like Cories and Khulis. Feels like this tank needs some schooling fish and I'd be tempted to go for a school of Harlequin Rasbora or maybe a micro species like Kubutai or Chilli?

You mentioned about putting the YoYo in a 75 is that a third tank you have?

Wills

Hi this is a really cool pair of tanks :) How big is tank 1 sorry if I missed it in the thread? Judging by the photo I think you are probably about right with the stocking as I'd guess its about a 10-15 gallon tank? One thing to say is that the Tetras and Guppies have different requirements in water but since you've rescued the Guppies from a bad situation this is going to be a much better home for them.

In the bigger tank, when you say you have soft water, how soft? My main thing I'd suggest is swapping the substrate out for sand with fish like Cories and Khulis. Feels like this tank needs some schooling fish and I'd be tempted to go for a school of Harlequin Rasbora or maybe a micro species like Kubutai or Chilli?

You mentioned about putting the YoYo in a 75 is that a third tank you have?

Wills
Sorry for the late reply I was on vacation!!!! Lol!
Anyways yes it is a 15 Gal. The substrate is mostly that fluval stratum plant substrate its super soft and light pressed soil pebbles so they can still dig around in there and they seem to love it, I had sand before but it got sucked into my HOB with them always flinging it around and it wasnā€™t good enough for my plants so I switched it up a bit. For the need of a schooling fish I actually moved my tetras from the smaller tank and put them in the 29G so I could up the hardness of the tank water in the smaller one a little bit for my shrimp and my guppies! I swapped them over to a sponge filter so that the baby shrimp wouldnā€™t get sucked up into it once they start to breed!
I have another tank a 5.5 Gal on the way itā€™s still cycling and I have no idea what to stock it with since itā€™s so small I know you canā€™t put much in there so I was thinking a female beta with some CPDs and some more shrimp or something lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back