Returning to the hobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vicko

Reaction score
After a 15 yr gap, I'm looking at getting back into it and setting up another big tank. Probably a 6x2x2ft with a sump.
I used to breed a bunch of things but mainly African Cichlids from Mbuna and Peacocks to Tropheus and Juli's.
Thinking about either setting a Featherfin and Cyp. Leptosoma tank as they have always fascinated me, or maybe go American this time with some of the smaller Geophagus and.. I dunno.. some Texas? I see Red Texas Cichlids are a thing now? I don't really want a fish much bigger than 8inches though in a 6ft tank. Never had Americans other then breeding pairs of different Apistos. Not sure yet. Suggestions welcome :)

Welcome to the forum! I am only just getting into large tanks myself, so no advice of that sort here. I hope you find the recommendations you're looking for.

Welcome back.
You’ve arrived at one of if not the best most helpful general aquarists forums for beginners and returners. I just got back into it about a year ago after 20+ yrs away. Spent a few months looking on other forums and none seemed as busy, friendly or helpful to those in my position. So unfortunately for this lot I settled here.

I know nothing about your fish but know where theres people who do: seriouslyfish.com is a science led site owned by fishologists with actual university educations in the little scaly fellers.
The fish Knowledge and Science on some things will have changed since you last got your hands wet as will some products available.
Enter any Fish you’re interested in into the search function, click on its Latin name when it appears (see how cleverer than me these people are!) and all the essentials are there: water temp range, water ph range, water hardness range, min tank size, min school/shoal numbers preferred, food preferred, plants preferred etc
Have fun, stay safe and please don’t take fashion, music or haircut advice from any of this lot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back