Retropinnis Bichir?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

giant19000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got my 1st bichir and it's awesome it's about 6 inches hes names buck(rise of the planet of the apes gorilla) lol and my question is how big will it get?? And Also my ornate bichirs coming in too this Friday how big does he get? Special foods?treats? Power foods?

Wow I was doing sOme research their ancient fish with poor eye sight but the way they sense their food whoa kinda like a black ghost knife :)
But wat size is it more likely to get ?

Hi.
In real life Retros max out at around 12".
They are the slowest growers of all Polypterus.

Ornates can and do get very big quickly.
They can often be VERY nasty as they grow, often bullying other fish and it isn't uncommon to find them trying to eat other Bichirs almost their own size!
Usually both Bichirs die when this happens.

Ornates are best kept with lower jaw Bichirs and bigger upper jaw such as Weeksii and Teugelsi.

Hi.
In real life Retros max out at around 12".
They are the slowest growers of all Polypterus.

Ornates can and do get very big quickly.
They can often be VERY nasty as they grow, often bullying other fish and it isn't uncommon to find them trying to eat other Bichirs almost their own size!
Usually both Bichirs die when this happens.

Ornates are best kept with lower jaw Bichirs and bigger upper jaw such as Weeksii and Teugelsi.
:/
An ornate was wat made me want a bichir but I did not know they were too aggressive no ornate then wat bichirs can I keep with my retro then??

I kept an ornate for a couple of years and never had a big problem with it being a bully but then I;m not discounting what Gasmask says as hes an ornate expert just passing on my experience

I kept an ornate for a couple of years and never had a big problem with it being a bully but then I;m not discounting what Gasmask says as hes an ornate expert just passing on my experience

Aah, man it's all good!
I too have a large Ornate (approaching 19") that is an absolute angel.
She is very active and lives happily with many smaller lower jaws.

That said, I have owned many absolute bi*ches in the past that have been killers!
An Ornate can be done, but IMO keep a good eye on it.

The general thought among hobbyists here in Japan is to treat them as lower jaw, and keep them together.

I just got my 1st bichir and it's awesome it's about 6 inches hes names buck(rise of the planet of the apes gorilla) lol and my question is how big will it get?? And Also my ornate bichirs coming in too this Friday how big does he get? Special foods?treats? Power foods?

:lol: nice name. Buck is my favourite character in the movie. Good luck with your Bichir. Theyre not very picky, my Senegalus and Palmas eat shrimp pellets, algae wafer, shrimp and krill meal, frozen bloodowrms, Hikari massivore...I would assume the Retropinnis will eat the same foods.

Turns out his Retro is actually a Palmas Polli.
A very common mis-identification!

:lol: nice name. Buck is my favourite character in the movie. Good luck with your Bichir. Theyre not very picky, my Senegalus and Palmas eat shrimp pellets, algae wafer, shrimp and krill meal, frozen bloodowrms, Hikari massivore...I would assume the Retropinnis will eat the same foods.
lol I love that movie :)

lol I love that movie :)

Turns out his Retro is actually a Palmas Polli.
A very common mis-identification!
Does that mean yes to the ornate??? And maybe a delhizi

It's your call.
Myself, I wouldn't put an ornate in with any Bichir the size of your Polli.
But that is me erring on the side of caution.

Most reactions

Back