Retirees' 300-gallon adventure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pondholler

Reaction score
We've been posting on the "Introduce Yourself" section about our mission to revive the 300-gallon aquarium we built into our living room wall 20+ years ago. We managed to keep it going for several years and then Life intervened, the tank failed, and we didn't have the time/energy/$$$ to revive it at the time. Now we're retired and on a mission to get the old tank going again. So far, so good. All the equipment came back to life with new bulbs in the hood and hoses to the filter and pumps. The pumps coughed and sputtered a bit (turns out they were air-locked) but now have water flowing in and out of the tank just fine. We have the substrate (creek gravel), rocks and driftwood in, as well as some plants and WATER. And this morning, after testing the tap water from our spring, I added the first dose of ammonia for fishless cycling. We are very excited and can't wait until the plants grow a bit, the water is cycled and it is time to add a few fish. For now, I'll just share a couple of photos. The pic on top is the view from our living room and the one on the bottom is the view from the bedroom. There are several Native American artifacts (from our farm) in both views. Can you find them?
FRONT -- NEWLY PLANTED.jpg
BACK -- NEWLY PLANTED.jpg

Nice to see a larger tank. I keep them too. Have a 300 gallon myself with 15 fairly large Goldfish. Used rocks and driftwood from the local wooded areas to decorate. No filtration, just large weekly water changes. Keeping everything very simple. As a retiree myself, I find simple is better. Nothing much to remember. Had some fry a couple of years ago and they're growing nicely. Have fun and keep me posted.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Last edited:
why 15 goldfish in 300 gallons when you could have hundreds of mollies/guppies.. 😂
Hello Freshy. Have smaller tanks for the smaller fish. Like the Goldfish, some are the size of your hand from wrist to the tips of your fingers. Very hardy and they'll live longer than several generations of Guppies and Mollies.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Last edited:
Our May Tank of the Month contest will be for tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. It sure would be nice to see a couple of 300 gallon tanks entered in that contest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back