Retired and reviving 300-gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pondholler

Reaction score
Some 20 years ago, my husband and I set up a 300-gallon freshwater aquarium and ran it successfully for about 7 years. Then Life happened (mostly my husband's cardiac arrest and triple bypass surgery, which caused me to go back to work, blah-blah-blah) and the tank was abandoned. Now we're in our 70s and retired and plan to resurrect the old tank and equipment by cleaning all with vinegar, replacing old hoses, and cycling with care. Obviously, we're 3-4 months away from introducing fish but we're already dreaming. We plan to start with live plants and introduce 3-4 algae eaters and a half-dozen Corys to start with. Beyond that, we are wide-open to suggestions. How would you fill out your Dream Tank if you had some 260 gallons to work with????? Also, I've been reading about using sand instead of gravel for a live-planted aquarium -- is this the best idea???? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

300 gallons! How exciting, I'm envious.
I love harlequins. They are beautiful, peaceful and full of character. Love to watch them working out their hierarchy, which seems to change all the time, and even their "battles" are peaceful. All bluff and bravado.
But I suppose it all depends on your ph and hardness, but you know that!
Good luck, hope you have fun.

I've been reading about using sand instead of gravel for a live-planted aquarium -- is this the best idea????

Yes because it is the most versatile substrate; no fish are harmed by soft sand and some need it--cory catfish for example--so you are not disqualifying some fish as you would with gravel. And plants grow very well in sand. You can use an aquarium sand which are expensive, or quality play sand. In the USA you can get Quikrete Play Sand at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Before suggesting fish, it would help to know the water parameters for you source water. GH (general hardness), KH (Alkalinity or carbonate hardness) and pH. This you should be able to find on the website of your water authority.

You mentioned cories, and I will mention that this is a shoaling/schooling fish that needs to be in a group (10-12 is minimum, you have space so more would be even better--this applies to all shoaling fish like tetras, etc.) and it is always better to add the full intended group together at the same time. The fish will settle in much faster which means less chance of stress and ich. Once you have the tank planted and running, you will be ready to add fish species by species. Floating plants are highly recommended, both the shade the light and for improved water quality.

Welcome back to the hobby, and toTFF. :hi:

Thanks for all the great advice! I just ordered a water test kit so don't know the specifics of our water quality yet, but if it is any help, our water source is a 1,000-gallon- a-minute big spring that flows into a pond where trout and lots of aquatic life thrive. In any case, I will post the water quality specs as soon as I have them. Thanks again.

300 gallons! How exciting, I'm envious.
I love harlequins. They are beautiful, peaceful and full of character. Love to watch them working out their hierarchy, which seems to change all the time, and even their "battles" are peaceful. All bluff and bravado.
But I suppose it all depends on your ph and hardness, but you know that!
Good luck, hope you have fun.
Harlequins! What a great idea!!! Thanks 😊

Holy smoke, that's a huge tank. What fun. If it were me? And I lived in Virginia? I'd put in a chiller, set up a massive river manifold with powerheads, tons of rock work, and stock it with brook trout, darters, and sculpins. With proper permits from the game and fish department, of course.

Last edited:
...but then, you already have a trout pond, it sounds like. In that case, I'd choose a region (southeast Asia, northern Amazon, Australia/New Guinea, and China/Taiwan are favorites of mine) and go crazy creating a regional biotope.

This is awesome. Definitely worth following!!

Holy smoke, that's a huge tank. What fun. If it were me? And I lived in Virginia? I'd put in a chiller, set up a massive river manifold with powerheads, a chiller, tons of rock work, and stock it with brook trout, darters, and sculpins. With proper permits from the game and fish department, of course.
Actually, we've talked about doing something like that, but it sounds like it may be beyond our realm of expertise. But it sure would be fun!

300 gallons ! And what would I do with 260 gallons ? My mind is boggling right now but all I can think of is a squadron of 25 Angelfish. That would be an awesome sight.
300 gallons ! That blows me away. There’s nothing you can’t have .
I'm getting a 220 gallon on Saturday (already paid for, just gotta pick it up) - and I will be putting about 19 angelfish in it (we'll have to see if I add more over time). It's going to be a planted community tank, I don't want to hijack this thread (I already have my own "in too deep", if anyone wants to see more specifics). But to answer the OPs original question, I'd make it a planted community tank. With that much space, there's so much you can do to make an exceptionally beautiful aquarium.

Some 20 years ago, my husband and I set up a 300-gallon freshwater aquarium and ran it successfully for about 7 years. Then Life happened (mostly my husband's cardiac arrest and triple bypass surgery, which caused me to go back to work, blah-blah-blah) and the tank was abandoned. Now we're in our 70s and retired and plan to resurrect the old tank and equipment by cleaning all with vinegar, replacing old hoses, and cycling with care. Obviously, we're 3-4 months away from introducing fish but we're already dreaming. We plan to start with live plants and introduce 3-4 algae eaters and a half-dozen Corys to start with. Beyond that, we are wide-open to suggestions. How would you fill out your Dream Tank if you had some 260 gallons to work with????? Also, I've been reading about using sand instead of gravel for a live-planted aquarium -- is this the best idea???? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Hello pondholler. All I can say is awesome! This is a great idea. I have a 300 gallon myself and have Goldfish. A couple of years ago, I actually had new fry. They're close to three inches long now. There's about 15 in there at the moment and their color is very nice. They range in size from about 7 down to 3 inches. This should keep a couple of retirees busy. I'm retired too and keep several other tanks. The weekly water changes alone will keep you guys "hoppin'". Have fun!

10 Tanks

The weekly water changes alone will keep you guys "hoppin'". Have fun!
I think if I ever get a tank this big, I'd just go all the way and run plumbing to it. I sure as heck would not be doing those water changes with buckets. I'm tough but not crazy! :lol:

Welcome to TFF

The thread title reads "tank", but your username suggests "pond"

If it's a tank, where has it been stored for the last 13 years? That's alot of real estate, lol

Regardless, I'm sure I speak not for me alone when I'd like to see pics, in it's present condition...;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back