Rescued free tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KMW1954

Reaction score
Just picked up a nice used Innovative Marine Nuvo Micro 30L Fusion for free. Came with a bunch of filter parts and media, the tank heater, water pump and stand. Also a bunch of different jars of fish and shrimp food and a few tank decorations.

Already have the tank scrubbed out and holding water to look for any leakers. Now I have no idea as to how to set up this filter system. There are filter bags and new unused bags. Tried to find a YouTube video but had no luck so if anyone can direct me to one that would be fantastic!

Wife is thinking of Cichlids as she has seen some that strike her fancy.

Post some pictures of the tank and equipment so we can see what is there.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------------
Filter pads can be replaced with sponges, which are easier to clean, last longer, and are cheaper to buy than filter pads/ cartridges.

After a bit more research I am to believe this is a sump system built into the tank. So now to do more studying.

it's a sump running the whole width of the tank from the specs...with a dual sock column, heater column, skimmer/reactor column and a return column with 2 adjustable nozzles
the question now is...are you going with salt or freshwater?...if freshwater...get rid of the skimmer/reactor stuff as you can use those columns for extra filter stuff...
but basically you have a nano salt water ready tank with an internal sump

Yes, most of what I found yesterday about this tank were salt water setups. This will be fresh water.

When looking at the rear compartments I count 5 total. 2 on each end and one large one in the middle. So I am now trying to figure out the media arrangement.

The two very end ones have the cutout slots for the water intake. the inner divider does not go all the way to the bottom. the next inner divider is lower than the first. Middle compartment has two holes for the return tubes from the pump.. That is the best I can describe. It did come with 6 filter socks and 2 lg. containers of activated carbon. not sure what else off hand.

well it should be an intake compartment (where the water will overflow into)
and a double return with adjustable valves
1657522457699.png

if you're going to have shrimp...forget filter socks specially if the sock filtration isn't fully submerged as you will kill lots of shrimp/fry that way
but if you're going the cichlids route...you should be fine...first of all you need to cycle the tank...
and if you're going with cichlids I'd suggest a planted tank....well I'd suggest a planted tank to everyone xD
as for filtration I use gravel activated carbon / filter media and sponges/filter floss
some people will tell you that you have to go in a certain way
but honestly at the end of the day the only thing you should keep in mind is that the finer the sponge/floss is..it should be last in line so the coarser stuff can grab it first and not just plug your system
I personally have gravel in the intake to prevent fish going through it then activated carbon then media balls then coarse sponges then filter floss
if you do intend to keep the filter socks I'd just throw the activated carbon under it and have the media bags on the 2nd partition the sponges/floss on the 3rd...and you still have the 4th for whatever you want to use it

This tank is divided up slightly different than your drawing.

Your drawing from the left side to right side. The first two dividers are the same, 1st has gap at the bottom, 2nd is lower at the top ind touches the bottom. 3rd compartment is very large, 16.5" long. The the right end repeats the left side with the 2 compartments configured the same.

So I am guessing the 1st compartment on each ens is an intake as they both have intake slots cut into them. Second feeds from the bottom of the first and then overflows into the center which houses the pump and then feeds the return hoses.

Again not certain just what will take residence in this tank but the wife has been looking at Dwarf Chiclids. Yes the tank will be set up and cycled before any live animals get placed. Will take heed of the sock warning and shrimp!

the previous drawing was a standard one direction sump with a return at the end
the drawings from that pdf are dual-intakes...it takes in water from both sides
so both sides act as a filter
water flow goes like: partition 1 going down / partition 2 going up and middle acts as a return for both sides
just make sure whatever fish you get are big enough that they won't fit through the intakes and if you intend to breed said fish...either get a plastic divider or a separate tank
the sock holder should be on the first partition from either side and if it's halfway down then it should be fully submerged even if the water is low in the return partition
so you can actually leave it in there...
put the sponges/filter floss on the other side inside partition 1 (flow going down) so the water doesn't push the sponges up and into the return partition
you can put the media in the 2nd one....
if you do have socks on the 1st partition on both sides...then it depends if your sump has these mini-racks to put filtration stuff in them on the 2 partition...

Last edited:
Thanks kiko, I think I am getting the gist of this. Active carbon? I also received 2 big jars of this.

You dont really need active carbon. You only need it to remove discoloring or to get rid of left over medications

Well it'll lower your nitrates too amongst other things.
As filtration goes I usually do carbon, media balls, sponges, filter floss and small gravel stones.
Gravel blocks the intakes while still letting the water through (lowers the number of shrimp going into my filtration)
Then I have the activated carbon
after the coarse sponge with floss under it...I have around 10/15 media balls just bouncing on top of the sponge which breaks stuff into finer particles.

Well it'll lower your nitrates too amongst other things.
What does, carbon?

In my experience, Carbon, Activated Carbon, and Highly Activated Carbon does not remove nitrates from aquarium water, certainly not in any measurable amounts. If it did, we would all be using it to keep nitrates low.

There are granulated substances that can sometimes resemble carbon and these can remove nitrates, but normal carbon won't drop high nitrates in an aquarium.

it does...
the main reason more people don't use it is because of the dust/ash it releases...
which in the end increases ph while people are trying to get it down with driftwoods etc...
I personally have a ph controller so it doesnt really matter to me
but when you do use carbon you can see the difference with your own eyes without any tests...
as my tank intake has gravel+shells
everytime the shells start getting this brownish gunk thingy on them I just switch out the carbon bag and in days the shells become whiter again
so yeah...I def recommend it...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back