Rescued Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are doing your best and have done a really good deed by rescuing him from a really bad place... I would definitely follow what others have advised but I have nothing else to add other than, good job!

I have to check if cold water is softened too. The test results from well water before the softener are (I tested twice):
GH: 60
KH: 0
pH: 6-6.5
NO2: 0-0.5
NO3: 0-20
NH3: 0
Is this okay to work with or would getting some 5 gal jugs of drinking water /mineral water be better?
Do you have a liquid test kit, in particular what is your NO2+ level. 0 is great, 0.5 is not. Until you determine if your cold water in not softened, I would use drinking water. Condition it to be safe as most of those are just bottled tap water.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to check if cold water is softened too. The test results from well water before the softener are (I tested twice):
GH: 60
KH: 0
pH: 6-6.5
NO2: 0-0.5
NO3: 0-20
NH3: 0
Is this okay to work with or would getting some 5 gal jugs of drinking water /mineral water be better?
TBH I don't understand these results. It appears to show the pre-softener water is soft (*which would be fine to use if accurate) , but why would there be a water softener installed?

A proper softener installation will make sure that the hose bibs are bypassed as softened water is not good for plants. Not to mention that if you have a sprinkler system you are spending lots of $$ on salt. While not ideal, the tank could be filled via external hose bibs. I've heard (I think on TFF) that you should flush any garden hose before filling as the hose material leaches toxins into the standing water in the hose.

Iā€™m not sure what the deal is with well water reading. The water softener and the well pipe? is way back in the creepiest part of the basement - old house >150 yrs old, dirt floor in that part and a bare bulb hanging from ceilingā€¦ I sent my husband to get the sample. In the meantime I bought a bunch of containers of spring water and ordered a water test kit instead of strips. I read about fishless/with fish in cycling. Thatā€™s a lot of information and chemistry. My understanding is that if uncycled, the water changes are almost continuous to struggle for balance, but to cycle my tank with the fish in his tank might hurt/kill him?

My understanding is that if uncycled, the water changes are almost continuous to struggle for balance, but to cycle my tank with the fish in his tank might hurt/kill him?
In an uncycled tank water changes could be needed every day (potentially more than once a day) because you need to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite levels at zero, anything higher than zero is dangerous for the fish.

But, on a slightly more positive note, you only have one fish in a 5 gallon tank, so I canā€™t imagine him producing too much ammonia all by himself.

I would suggest that you only feed him every other day (he wonā€™t starve and will produce less waste) and get some fast growing plants, especially those that float, as they will use the ammonia as food and prevent it from building up in the water. You donā€™t need to keep these plants forever, just until you are confident that the cycle has completed (although Betta fish love lots of live plants - especially floating ones).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back