Rescued Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Tazzy90

Reaction score
I rescued a betta about a week ago. My son found him in a dirty fishbowl, sitting on the sidewalk outside an apartment bldg. (where my son works)ā€¦ itā€™s winter time where live. Somehow the fish survived. Iā€™ve had fish tanks (yrs ago) so not completely new but totally new to Bettas. My guy has some torn fins and it appears is missing some scales. I put him in a Koehler 5 gal tank, filter is set to low output? so he is comfortable swimming around. Plants are silk, heater is set to 78F. He swims around and eats- appetite has picked over past day or so. I do a 25% water changes every 3 days. I want to make sure he doesnā€™t have fin rot, diseased scales, are his eyes okay etcā€¦ because he came from such a horrible situation and I have no idea if heā€™s just traumatized or needs me to medicate and with what? Iā€™m attaching photos if anyone can help. Thanks

Attachments

• 2DE39E9F-8644-475D-BC2B-D4109E7E24EE.jpeg
    2DE39E9F-8644-475D-BC2B-D4109E7E24EE.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 37
  • A1089383-3452-4792-9AD0-854C73B64812.jpeg
    A1089383-3452-4792-9AD0-854C73B64812.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 39
  • FEE9B283-8CD0-4C8C-A845-7F046F7BDFAD.jpeg
    FEE9B283-8CD0-4C8C-A845-7F046F7BDFAD.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 7011E79C-6B8D-4A41-8B41-1675883224F7.jpeg
    7011E79C-6B8D-4A41-8B41-1675883224F7.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 59AA80E7-7178-47D1-89B9-9E3CF92E9B2F.jpeg
    59AA80E7-7178-47D1-89B9-9E3CF92E9B2F.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 44
I rescued a betta about a week ago. My son found him in a dirty fishbowl, sitting on the sidewalk outside an apartment bldg. (where my son works)ā€¦ itā€™s winter time where live. Somehow the fish survived. Iā€™ve had fish tanks (yrs ago) so not completely new but totally new to Bettas. My guy has some torn fins and it appears is missing some scales. I put him in a Koehler 5 gal tank, filter is set to low output? so he is comfortable swimming around. Plants are silk, heater is set to 78F. He swims around and eats- appetite has picked over past day or so. I do a 25% water changes every 3 days. I want to make sure he doesnā€™t have fin rot, diseased scales, are his eyes okay etcā€¦ because he came from such a horrible situation and I have no idea if heā€™s just traumatized or needs me to medicate and with what? Iā€™m attaching photos if anyone can help. Thanks
I posted this on the forum to ask questions too. Sorry for the duplication.

Welcome to TFF :)
The Beta experts will likely advise on specifics but can you post your water parameters?
Is your tank cycled?
I would probably suggest more frequent water changes, especially if not cycled, with conditioned water to ensure that ammonia, nitrite are zero, and nitrate is low.

Welcome to TFF :)
The Beta experts will likely advise on specifics but can you post your water parameters?
Is your tank cycled?
I would probably suggest more frequent water changes, especially if not cycled, with conditioned water to ensure that ammonia, nitrite are zero, and nitrate is low.
His 5 gal tank was not cycled. He was in such dire straits when I got him, that I transferred him out of his filthy bowl to his new tank with only a water conditioner. Iā€™m realizing now that because we have a Well/water softener that I should be asking if our tap water is okay to use? My water parameters (API test strips):
GH: 30-60 ppm (hard to tell with strip color)
KH: 80 ppm
pH: 7-7.5
NO2: 0.5
NO3: 0-20
Ammonia ( Tetra test strip): 0

I add Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus conditioned water after water changes and Tetra Cleaning Bacteria as well.

I'm sure the water is better now than before :)

Nitrites (and ammonia) should be zero, I would suggest 75%-80% water changes daily until your tank is cycled. Make sure there is no uneaten food and vacuum daily with water changes. Do not change or clean filter media unless clogged.

Last edited:
Okay, I will do that. My son has a 20 gal tank with a few tetras. Heā€™s had the tank for about 2 yrs. Can I put some gravel or the filter pad from that tank in with the Betta to transfer some good bacteria? Sorry for so many questions.

Forgot to
Okay, I will do that. My son has a 20 gal tank with a few tetras. Heā€™s had the tank for about 2 yrs. Can I put some gravel or the filter pad from that tank in with the Betta to transfer some good bacteria? Sorry for so many questions.
Yes, you can cross cycle by putting a filter pad from a cycled tank into your new tank. Monitor both tanks since you may get a mini-cycle on the host tank.

Kudos for rescuing the Betta that would have undergone a agonizing fate. Often folks are advised not to 'rescue' Bettas from store shelves because that encourages the trade, but this one was bought and abandoned. Sort of like getting a rescue canine/feline vs. a mill purchase.

WOW, you are doing awesome! The only thing I really see is what looks like missing scales on the top of his head. I am not entirely familiar with what may be the cause, but my bet would be poor water quality in his past tank. Great job on the water changes, keep it up until the tank is cycled! One thing he would definitely love would be some floating shelter. Many people use live floating plants, which also work wonders for water quality. Live plants can be daunting, but some of the easiest would be duckweed, salvinia, or azolla. Other people may have suggestions for none live plant shade if live plants are just too much. Either way, you are doing INCREDIBLY! Great job!

I have a silk plant, he likes to hide in/under the leaves and some silk leaves stuck to the side of the tank. I wanted to make sure he could rest and hide. So it sounds like water changes and balancing and just watch his scales at this point.

we have a Well/water softener that I should be asking if our tap water is okay to use?
This is not ideal because of the water softener. They remove the calcium and magnesium by replacing them with sodium ions. Sodium is harmful to freshwater fish long term. Can you bypass the softener and test the well water as is. If it's too hard it may not be usable either but get the test results if you can.

This is not ideal because of the water softener. They remove the calcium and magnesium by replacing them with sodium ions. Sodium is harmful to freshwater fish long term. Can you bypass the softener and test the well water as is. If it's too hard it may not be usable either but get the test results if you can.
Check and see if your entire supply is softened. Often the outside taps or the cold water supply are not softened. If your entire supply is softened, it is not too difficult to make a hard water tap before the softener.

Well, hi and welcome first...
I think best thing to do right now, it just to give this betta some time to recuperate. And don't do too much anymore. For the situation he's in, he does look pretty okay to me.

I have to check if cold water is softened too. The test results from well water before the softener are (I tested twice):
GH: 60
KH: 0
pH: 6-6.5
NO2: 0-0.5
NO3: 0-20
NH3: 0
Is this okay to work with or would getting some 5 gal jugs of drinking water /mineral water be better?

Thank you for the reassurance. Heā€™s a cool little fish, lots of personality. I want to help him thrive.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back