Rescued Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

liz2

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
all this talk of rescuing bettas...I went to a local shop and bought the tattiest one there! he is currently making himself at home in a bowl, will try to get photos but he is a bit fast!

Maybe some pics of when he settles in....

I dont know if its just me but when you rescue a betta its the best feeling ever. Its the knowing you have save a life you made it better.

not very good photos, his top fin is really ragged, and I think he is a vt so say no more he has hardly any flowing fins left...
PICT0102-1.jpg

PICT0103-1.jpg

[Mod Edit] thats really bad... but a good rescue... Mine is like this but growing his fins nicely :)

Just to ask have you got a filter and heater for him? The filter helps keep that water crystal clear which is essential for his recovery and for the fins to grow back and they need to have a heater, they are tropical fish. I agree helping bettas is good and a great feeling that you will get from helping a suffering animal but only if have right conditions for them :good:

I never have filters in my betta tanks, just real weed, water is crystal clear. IMO filters distress them. He is in a warm spot in my kitchen. Thank you for advise anyway.

Ah just checking! My flat is pretty cool and couldnt risk not having a filter, it is also a 10g so the filter becomes more essential. "real weed"? is that a floating plant and does it need much care? Noticed mentioned in another thread, is it low maintenance and make a difference in the tanks (trying to source some easy care plants right now :))

I have a pond so it is the crispy weed and the parrots feathers type. If you can get hold of the parrots feathers that is great. you can keep it outside in rain water and cut bits off when you need it. It sort of grows along the top of the tanks. I also love fairy weed (or duck weed) but haven't any at the moment. If you put a couple of old water snails in as well after a week or so you get a supply of water insects. Then armed with a turkey baster and patience your bettas will love you for ever. :good:

Hi liz2 :)

He's a beautiful fish! Let's hope he recovers soon. :flowers:

I'm inclined to agree with you about having a unfiltered tank for him. Filters can do as much harm as good in a tank with long finned fish, but it does take a lot more work to keep the water conditions just right. We used to have many members who successfully kept their bettas in small tanks with regular water changes, and their fish thrived. It's more a matter of choosing a method and doing it right, than there being only one way to care for any fish.

I'm happy that we are starting to see that kind of diversity here again. :D

the aquatic shop I went in yesterday has a tank that is really green, been breeding shrimp in it I think he said. There was a beautiful red betta in there with obviously regrowth on his fins. The owner said he had been beaten up so he put him in the tank thinking well at lest he will be peaceful and he has thrived,, :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back