Rescue Case - George

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
OK, for those dog lovers amongst us, I thought I'd share this with you:
I used to be a veterinary nurse and worked at a very large 24 hour practice in London. We always received some stray animals on a regular basis - those of whom we could trace the owners, we reunited. Those we could not, we sent on Battersea Dogs home or the RSPCA.
One morning when I came into work, and there in the bottom cage sat the ugliest little dog I have *ever* seen in my entire life. Cowering and shaking and in an incredibly bad state. This sounds so awful to say, but he was so repulsive that I couldn't even pick him up for the vet to examine without holding my breath (because of his stench!) and holding him at arms length. Anyway, no owner could be found and the vets wanted him out as soon as possible because he had no injuries and was riddled with fleas and had a horrendous skin allergy. In most places his skin was so bad it felt like elphant skin :crazy: Looking at his skin, it literally moved in a mass of fleas and it was so extreme that he did not even bother to scratch anymore. Poor chap.
Anyway, we knew very well that Battersea Dogs home would put him straight to sleep, as he was an un-neutered male approx 8 years old and in a very bad state. They just do not have the time an capacity to spend on animals like that when they have hundreds of other "cute" puppies and younger dogs in good condition to re-home. At the time I honestly did not want a dog as I already had 2 young cats and a very demanding job with long hours. And *if* I had a dog, it would certainly only be a big dog (I'm not a small dog person).
Well, well well...... a friend of mine severely twisted my arm and talked me into giving him a chance, as the vets wanted to put him to sleep.

Soooo.... here are some pictures of him.

This first pic was taken about 2 weeks AFTER he came in and was already on the road to recovery with some hair growing back, defleaed and descabbed.

With a "I don't care if I die - do whatever you want" attitude.
Jan01.jpg

2 months on - still very sceptical of the world.
Mar01.jpg

Mar01-1.jpg

You can just see the hurt and pain in his eyes.
Mar01-2.jpg

Mar01-3.jpg

3 months on - standing hesitantly proud
Apr01.jpg

5 months on
May01.jpg

11 months on !!! and the happiest chap ever :D
Nov01-2.jpg

Nov01-1.jpg

(See further down a few posts for the best pic!)

well done for saving him!!!!I would have done the same tho.i am not a small dog person i love anything big bouncy such as my gsds but i couldnt of resisted.How old is he?? Just think he wouldnt be here if it wasnt for you WELL DONE

He's beautiful. Its so good you were able to see past first appearances and took him on - look what a beautiful, happy little dog he is.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I applaud you.

aaaaawwww what a wonderful end to the story, its wonderful you took him in and he looks so happy, it just goes to show that a little bit of love and care goes a long way :)

Sorry to revive a slightly older thread, but instead of starting a new one, I thought I'd just add a more recent pic onto this thread :)

George still lives with my friend and her two terries, though I pick up his bills (I live in a rented house that does not allow dogs :sad: ) - but he's ultra happy where he's now and creates havoc & mischief with his 2 Jack Russell mates.

It's just hard to believe that this last pic is the same dog the vets wanted to put to sleep :no:

Crop.jpg

I love stories like this. I watch animal planet (when I get chance) purely for the after stories. The transformation on some dogs is quite incredible and yours is no exception.
Well done for giving him a second chance. Whatever happened to him before won't have been his fault but if you hadn't taken him that would have been all he knew when he was put down. That wouldn't have been fair.

Still, it must have been tough. I have only seen dogs in that condition on the telly and I still feel sick when I see them. I don't know how I'd handle it if it was right in front of me like that.

Thanx for the pics. He looks great.

Edit:forgot to say, that is a dog who definitely deserves a POTM nom. I hope he gets a second and wins.

Thanks for the nominations everyone !
He is the most lovable little dog that absolutely adores children and instantly got along with my cats - they even used to curl up together in his basket and went to sleep together and used to play chase through the house.
Perhaps he just went wandering the one day (as he was unneutered!) in search of a lady friend and got lost :(
But he was certainly living on the street for several months before he was found in that dire condition - the severity of his allergy (to fleas) and skin condition does not happen overnight. Everyone (outside the vet practice) used to tease me and when I took him for walks, people would stare.
Someone even reported me to the RSPCA (I can totally see their concern!) but I had a tough time explaining the situation to the 2 officers who came to my house - and proving that he was actually undergoing a lot of treatment. It didn't help that at the time my one cat had a severe eye infection and he could hardly open them :X
Ahh the life of a vet nurse with all the waifs and strays :lol: I do miss working there but am happy that I could help some animals myself and that I have personally rehomed many.

I am a small dog person (I like big dogs too but know I couldn't control one. I love Irish Wolfhounds), he is lovely. I am so glad he had a chance to live. He looks so different now. :)

He's a cutie. That was very cool of you to save him..alot of people wouldn't have. he look sto be a Yorkie mix to me. Very cute. The picture of him laying on his back in the basket is totally adorable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back