RES only eats live mealworms!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my 8 year old RES has stopped eating anything but live mealworms. tissue around legs looks fatty. what’s best way to get her on different diet?

I have 2 RES that are 25 years old, this time of year (winter) they do not eat as much. I leave the lights on longer and keep them warm, I feed them pond fish pullets and turtle pellets and turtle sticks along with some vegetables, thin cut carrots and lettuce. They also eat pond snails and guppies once in awhile. I also make sure they sun themselves on sunny days.

Agree with above. And definitely stop the mealworms, these are not good food for any aquatic critter, fish, amphibian or reptile, other than as a "treat" no more than once a week. But as the turtle could well ignore good food waiting for the weekly mealworm, stop them altogether.

I have 2 RES that are 25 years old, this time of year (winter) they do not eat as much. I leave the lights on longer and keep them warm, I feed them pond fish pullets and turtle pellets and turtle sticks along with some vegetables, thin cut carrots and lettuce. They also eat pond snails and guppies once in awhile. I also make sure they sun themselves on sunny days.
thanks. my turtle has a uva/uvb bulb during the day and a red warmth bulb at night. i have Mazuri andTetra pellets for her. i will have to wean her off mealworms.

Agree with above. And definitely stop the mealworms, these are not good food for any aquatic critter, fish, amphibian or reptile, other than as a "treat" no more than once a week. But as the turtle could well ignore good food waiting for the weekly mealworm, stop them altogether.
ok thanks. how many days can she go without food? if she is stubborn and won’t go back to pellets.

Good luck, I started with 4 baby RES turtles, one for each of my children. They named them after the teenage mutant ninja turtles. All made it to be over 22 years old. I lost two females,the last one during last winter :(. My last two seem to be doing well. I also raised yellow sliders which live around me. All those I released back into the wild. During the summer I catch june bugs for them, they really like them.

My turtles will sometimes go for a couple of days without eating in the winter. I would drop just a little in the tank and watch to see if she eats it, try again a day of two later, Keep it up until she eats. I have not had this problem with my turtles they will eat what even I give them. But like I said it is winter and they slow down their eating.

Good luck, I started with 4 baby RES turtles, one for each of my children. They named them after the teenage mutant ninja turtles. All made it to be over 22 years old. I lost two females,the last one during last winter :(. My last two seem to be doing well. I also raised yellow sliders which live around me. All those I released back into the wild. During the summer I catch june bugs for them, they really like them.
that’s a cute turtle story :) are yellow sliders as common as the RES? i’ll have to look them up. thanks for. being a fellow turtle fan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back