Reptile ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I want a reptile, IDK what to get, though, things I'm looking for:

• Not a frog or crested gecko/ crestie
  • can live in a zen habitat ( https://www.zenhabitats.com/ )
  • Pairs or more
  • social towards humans
  • easy to care for
  • likes human interaction but is ok without it
  • easy to tame
  • not a leopard gecko
  • climber
Mourning geckos, maybe?

I wonder if your requirements are somewhat mutually exclusive. "Social towards humans", "easy to tame", mixed with "likes human interaction but is ok without it" will be a tough set of criteria to meet. In my limited personal experience over the years, creatures that you can interact with socially, ie bond with, tend to become somewhat stressed when the interaction in absent.

I had a Mexican Milk Snake for a number of years that was easy to care for, I could interact with it and handle it, but it wasn't social towards me at all. Although there are exceptions, social towards humans is not a strong characteristic of reptiles in general.

Mourning Geckos seem like a reasonable choice, but I believe still a bit of a compromise given the requirements you provided.

Nice new Pika pic.

wait...
didnt you just want a crestie?
or is this another project
anyway

I wonder if your requirements are somewhat mutually exclusive. "Social towards humans", "easy to tame", mixed with "likes human interaction but is ok without it" will be a tough set of criteria to meet. In my limited personal experience over the years, creatures that you can interact with socially, ie bond with, tend to become somewhat stressed when the interaction in absent.
/: i meant to say "is ok without a lot of it" (I'm not home so much... work... but I AM a night owl)
I had a Mexican Milk Snake for a number of years that was easy to care for, I could interact with it and handle it, but it wasn't social towards me at all. Although there are exceptions, social towards humans is not a strong characteristic of reptiles in general.
gotta add "doesn't eat rodents or small mammals" I saw a dead mouse outside once and started crying (it happend, like, last week lol)
Mourning Geckos seem like a reasonable choice, but I believe still a bit of a compromise given the requirements you provided.
ok :)
Nice new Pika pic.

I work with mourning geckos myself. They meet most of your requirements, and are extremely easy to care for. However, a couple of things are worth mentioning. They aren’t really something that you can handle. They’re small, somewhat fragile, and fast. The other accommodation you will need to make is that you must take great care to make the enclosure escape proof. They can slip through very small openings and gaps.
They don’t require extreme heat, or UVB lighting. They like a somewhat humid environment, but must have good air flow. They are active at night, but are often visible by day, too. They can be kept in groups, and will chirp at each other.
Although they feed readily on Pangea and other powdered diets, they really need live insects too.
Neat, easy little geckos.

Thanks for making the request. It has opened my eyes a bit towards reptiles. Have you considered the standard Bearded Dragon or perhaps a Rankin's Dragon.

Thanks for making the request. It has opened my eyes a bit towards reptiles. Have you considered the standard Bearded Dragon or perhaps a Rankin's Dragon.
yeah. there not for me, and my mom said a huge no. bc, they don't deserve to live in cages. their eyesight is bad and they tend to rub their noses against the glass. I agree, a lot of ppl keep something that grows to 8+ inches in 20-gallon tanks

It sounds like you're looking for a reptile that's easy to care for, social, and enjoys human interaction, but you're not sure what to get. I've had a similar experience myself. I remember reading an article about iguana bite, which piqued my interest in getting one. However, I understand that iguanas may not be the right fit for everyone. Based on your preferences, I think mourning geckos could be a good option. They're social, easy to care for, and can live in a zen habitat. They also enjoy human interaction but are okay without it, which aligns with what you're looking for. Additionally, they're climbers, so they'll be able to use the vertical space in their habitat.

Last edited:
Bearded dragon?

They eat crickets, mealworms, and leafy greens, can be picked up and allowed to roam (but be careful as I don't believe you can potty train them), and mine gets along fabulously with my cat.

Bearded dragon?

They eat crickets, mealworms, and leafy greens, can be picked up and allowed to roam (but be careful as I don't believe you can potty train them), and mine gets along fabulously with my cat.
I heard that they are smart reptiles

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back