Replacing A Sand Bed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anguilla82

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This has been posted in the nano section, but have had no responses so thought it'd do better here.

when doing regular water changes i tend to suck up any algae that is on the sand bed and in so doing suck up a load of the sand.
now it is getting to the stage where i don't have masses of sand in the tank any more.

my question is... if i add to the already present sand with a load of new 'live sand' from the lfs will my tank re 'cycle'. i.e. will i get a load of die off of the goodies in the new sand and cause a nitrate spike?

FYI
tank is a D&D 24G Nano with an Eheim canister filter filled with live rock.
tank has being set up in my hands for around 10 months and have a selection of softies and lps

Adding some more sand shouldn't make any difference to the filter and you should not get a mini cycle.
If your really concerned then just add a small amount of sand each week.
Try using a gravel cleaner to suck the algae off the substrate. These are less likely to suck up all the sand. And if you leave the bucket of water to sit for a moment most of the sand will settle on the bottom and can be put back in the tank afterwards. You can give it a hose out if you are concerned about the algae on it.

I too would addd plain aragonite sand, none of that "live" stuff. Lets be honest, how much is going to be left alive in that sealed plastic bag with no extra O2 that's been sitting on a warehouse shelf for God only knows how long before it gets to your LFS' shelf...

cheers for all your advice, will go and get some 'normal' sand in the next few days.
thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Back