Removing Stains From Glass

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mark Z.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently set up a 55-gallon aquarium that I purchased at a yard sale many years ago.

The aquarium glass has what looks like water drop marks all over it, (very light white in color, almost clear) inside and out. I was not able to remove them with paper towels or a razor blade on the inside and window cleaner on the outside.

Has anyone had any success cleaning this type of stain off their glass. The tank is up and running now, so I don't want to drain it or use anything harmful to the fish.

Thanks,
Mark

I would assume this is limescale, if so vinegar or lemon juice should remove it - obviously only good for outside.  I don't know how you could clean it inside while it is full.

Thanks, I will give it a try!

It looks like dried raindrops all over the glass.

If it works on the outside, I could do parts of the inside when I do water changes, but would vinegar or lemon juice residue hurt the fish?

i use vinegar to clean the corners and the top edge of my tank every week and never had a problem, its one of the safest substances to use around fish, i imagine only high levels would be harmful like if you used a soaked rag instead of damp or sprayed /dumped some in the water  

Be sure to use WHITE DISTILLED VINEGAR, others may contain other chemical and what not 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back