Removing Rio240 filter box, replacing with external filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

DylanTropical

Reaction score
New to the forums, Iā€™m looking to upgrade/remove the filter box in my jewel Rio 240, Iā€™ve read online they arenā€™t very good as people are always left with ammonia (I am too), my nitrites/nitrates are a good standard, has any body had any issues removing the filter box, also suggest some decent external filters please.

I used to have a Rio 125 and I removed the built in filter because no matter what I did it was so noisy.

You'll need to remove the filter during a water change when the water level is low as sawing will cause a tidal wave. The box is held in place with 8 blobs of silicone, 4 on each side in contact with the glass; 2 at the top of each side and 2 at the bottom. You will need a long, flexible knife of some sort - I sacrificed a kitchen knife. First saw through the two top blobs on one side. Then pulling the box away from the glass, saw through the top blobs on the other. Now you'll be able to reach the bottom blobs. This will leave silicone on the glass. I used a Stanley knife blade, very carefully, held almost flat against the glass to scrape off the remaining silicone.

Be very careful not to touch the corner sealant!

I replaced mine with another internal filter so I'll leave it to those members who have externals to recommend one.

Hi Dylan, your existing filter, if well cared for, will be effective, leave at least three months between cleaning to make sure thereā€™s a good buildup of biofloc, only gently swish the filter media to remove loose debris if the flow has been restricted. PJ

Most reactions

trending

Back