Remove rockwool from plant roots, or leave it on?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering some plants from Buce Plants. This will be my second time to order from Buce. The first time was a disaster for me, I completely ruined the roots on some Amazon Swords that I ordered from Buce trying to remove the rockwool, they wilted away and never grew. If I do order some more Amazon Swords from Buce, can I leave the rockwool on the plants or must I remove it. If I have to remove the rockwool form the roots, then how do I do this without destroying the roots. Thanks Everyone.

Itd be better to remove most of it. A little bit won't hurt nothing but if the roots are kept locked in, you may struggle with a root bound plant eventually and that may cause it to grow stunted.

Itd be better to remove most of it. A little bit won't hurt nothing but if the roots are kept locked in, you may struggle with a root bound plant eventually and that may cause it to grow stunted.
Thank you for your reply, but I am curious as to how I am going to remove most of the rockwool without tearing up the roots.

Usually I just pull it apart

Carefully tease off whatever you can remove without damaging the roots and leave the rest on.

If you pull the bulk of the rock wool off, then you can gently swish the plant roots in a container of tank water and usually most of the rest will come off. I have even held the roots under gently running tap water (traces of chlorine won‘t hurt the plants a bit) to get the rest off.

I use a pin to gently pull the rockwool from the roots, bit by bit. I do this under running water, set to a dribble rather than full on.

I had to remove most of the root system from my plants, they were so tangled up with the wool they came off as I removed it. All the plants have grown back strong though. So long as there is some root structure left they will grow back and encouraging new root growth is a good thing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back