Remove Juwel Filter Box

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Have read some treads that suggest that you can remove. In reality how easy is this ? I have just purchased a 240 ltr Juwel and really would like to remove the filter box (tank will be dry), my LFS advise it is not easy - has anybody done one recently ?

Thanks in advance.

Tets.

I removed the filter from a Rio 125. If your tank is still empty that makes it easier - I did it with fish in the tank and had to do it during a water change so the water level was lower.

The filter casing is held in with 8 silicone blobs, 4 on each side in contact with the glass, 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top. You will need a sharp flexible knife (I sacrificed a kitchen knife). Start with the top blobs on one side. Carefully saw through them taking care not to touch the tank corner sealant. When they have been cut through, ease the box away from the glass and cut through the bottom two. Then repeat for the other side. You will be left with bits stuck to the glass. I used a Stanley knife blade held almost flat against the glass to scrape them off, anything similar would work.

Yes it is a bit fiddly, but if I can do it, anyone can :)

I removed the filter from a Rio 125. If your tank is still empty that makes it easier - I did it with fish in the tank and had to do it during a water change so the water level was lower.

The filter casing is held in with 8 silicone blobs, 4 on each side in contact with the glass, 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top. You will need a sharp flexible knife (I sacrificed a kitchen knife). Start with the top blobs on one side. Carefully saw through them taking care not to touch the tank corner sealant. When they have been cut through, ease the box away from the glass and cut through the bottom two. Then repeat for the other side. You will be left with bits stuck to the glass. I used a Stanley knife blade held almost flat against the glass to scrape them off, anything similar would work.

Yes it is a bit fiddly, but if I can do it, anyone can :)
Thank you, presume you did this recently ? My LFS tells me the newer tanks with filter box are much more difficult.

ATB

Tets

Ah, no it was a few years ago.

Did the shop say how the filters are attached nowadays? What does it look like through the glass? Mine looked like black circles squashed onto the glass.

Ah, no it was a few years ago.

Did the shop say how the filters are attached nowadays? What does it look like through the glass? Mine looked like black circles squashed onto the glass.
Was hard to see to be honest., worse case, I assume I could leave the box in and use it disguise diffuser (also looking into co2 kits)

Thanks,

Well, one bread knife and a bit of persuasion, It is removed - Yahoo !:D

Hello!

I've just taken delivery of this tank (so it's completely new and empty) and was all prepared to take out the internal box - have bought a Fluval canister filter to use instead.

The only thing that's concerning me is the heater - it looks like this is supposed to slide inside the filter box. So if I remove the box, does anyone know how I should go about fitting the heater?

Thank you very much for any assistance!

ElizaRome x

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Or there two types of heater holder.....very inexpensive and easy to find

The second one in your link looks very similar to an Eheim heater bracket - those would work as well.

Most reactions

trending

Back