Remembering our liberators

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DoubleDutch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Quite often members mention their familymembers having fought in Europe or Asia during WW2.

I like to share that we will never forget those brave men and women who did and expres our thanks and honor.

Yesterday a monument was placed in our IJssellake to remember and honor the crews that lost their lives there and especially the ones that were never found.

The 4th of may we remember all warvictims and at Christmas candles are lit (mostly by schoolchildren) at wargraves around the country.

We'll allways remember those great men and women who fought for our freedom.

A beautiful and enigmatic monument to those lost and especially those who were lost, never to return to their families in anything other than memory.

Every year, the Netherlands sends masses of tulips to Canada, where they are on display in Ottawa, the capital city. It's very beautiful, and is a gesture that's deeply appreciated. We come through a terrible winter, and in Spring, those gifted bulbs produce colour and beauty - quite symbolic of the liberation of a nation that survived a 'winter' like we can't imagine.

I've mentioned my uncle who fought up through Holland in World War 2, with the Canadian forces given the job of liberating that country. He was a rare veteran in that he talked about it. I had 7 other uncles who fought, six in the regular army or navy and who miraculously all came home, and one who lived in France and was killed by the Gestapo as a member of the resistance. The war was not something most of them could talk about.

I think it's very honourable of places like Ijessellake to speak for them.

@GaryE, Ottawa is one of the most beautiful towns of Canada from what I've seen of it. And pretty clean as well.
In our area, we have an annual week of honoring specifically Canadian forces who fought in WW2 and helped liberating Holland.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back