Reluctant fishkeeper update -plant identified

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

justinhill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
No question - just thought I'd update you all on my aquarium in light of the various issues I've raised recently.

First of all, as predicted by all of you, the third Rainbow Dwarf Gourami I bought died. However, the other two have settled in nicely with no signs of aggression toward each other or their neighbours.

Secondly, I did make a new lid for the tank - from 'glass effect' perspex, and this has allowed me to move the lights further away from the surface (using simple wooden blocks for now) and still get another 2-3 litres of water in.

I really don't like the lights, and hope to replace them with a Fluval Aquasky at some point when I have the money. Likewise the hopeless Oase filter/pump system will have to go - I plan to put in a Fluval 207 external unit - again when I have the money.

And everything seems stable. I'm still checking the water chemistry regularly but the results never vary, and I replace about 35% or so of the water once a week. The big plants have gone mad and I've pruned them several times, and the 'carpet' at the front is starting to fill out.

It looks like I got there in the end... In hindsight I think I should still have said no when I was asked to take the aquarium on, but now it's here I guess I'm content with it!

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 103
Glad to hear that things are starting to work out with the tank.

Looking good? Glad things are starting to work out for you. :)

@justinhill - do you know the name of the plant with tiny leaves on the right..? Is SO pretty ?
I wish I did. The guy who originally bought the aquarium couldn't remember what the shop said it was. All I know is it grows at incredible speed, and spreads... The gourami love to hide in it.

Let’s hope someone else can help...anyone know what the plant is please?

I've got a few plants that are similar in shape, but I'm not sure either are the same.

I think it is closest to Bacopa Monnieri, but it also shares some similarities with Bacopa Caroliniana. The latter has longer leaves though.

It also reminds me of Rotala Indica that has been grown in lower light conditions and not gained any red colouration.

Thank you for all of those suggestions...there are loads of images and variations on the suggested names, all very pretty and now added to my wish list ?

@justinhill - brilliant - thank you so much...slightly worried it’s showing as a “medium” care need...? I might need to with some of the other similar suggestions are are coming up as “easy” ?

@justinhill - brilliant - thank you so much...slightly worried it’s showing as a “medium” care need...? I might need to with some of the other similar suggestions are are coming up as “easy” ?
If it's 'medium care' then I missed that memo! All I've done is get in there with the scissors now and again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back