Relocating 75-gallon Tank Upstairs->Downstairs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dRoseOFC

Reaction score
I am thinking of moving a 75 gallon tank from a room upstairs to the downstairs area. It is a cycled tank with fish and live plants. Other than buying several 5 gallon buckets, I was thinking of getting a 32 gallon outdoor plastic trash can so that I can save at least half of the original water.
Are there any precautions or tips for using a new plastic trash can, such as cleaning prior to putting water in? My plan is hoping that being new, I could thoroughly rinse with water as I would any new decoration or similar. Also, I hope to not have to remove the substrate so that I dont disturb the miniature dwarf grass that is just starting to sprout.

If it matters, for the cycle/bacteria etc., I have two canister filters running on it now, with one of them on an in-line UV. Also have a fluval in tank filter. All of which should have established bacteria etc. I hope if I get all/most of water out, that it will be able to be moved with the substrate inside. For carrying, I could use wood boards to support the tank rather than carrying tank directly.

Good luck it's gonna be heavy especially since you plan on moving it with the substrate. But saving the original water is good idea as well as having some seasoned water on hand. But regardless I would take my time and think really hard about the move especially if you have stairs to deal with....good luck.

I use a new plastic dustbin for my water changes and as you said just give it a good clean with hot water.

I bought some of the below from Draper for £7 and they were a god send when lifting a 450 litre tank. It was a nightmare

Attachments

• 5008DF87-72EB-403D-8AFD-78826E556836.png
    5008DF87-72EB-403D-8AFD-78826E556836.png
    438.4 KB · Views: 100
Rinsing the trash can out would be a good idea, just in case. Depending on how long moving the tank will take, I would recommend making sure to keep all of the media in the filters submerged in tank water (you could throw the media in the trashcan of tank water or something). Lastly, I hope that you have someone to help you move the tank because it's gonna be HEAVY. Hope and pray that the bottom of your tank doesn't break while trying to support all of the wet substrate as you're carrying it.

i recommend using multiple 15-20 gallon tubs, half filled, as opposed to the large trash can which will be very hard to move.
You'll also want to use some kind of plate or bowl to disperse the water when you refill because otherwise it will just be a big muddy mess.

I plan to put the 32 gallon trash bin downstairs basically right next to where the tank will be going. Ill run hose from upstairs to down stairs and drain the water straight to the trash bin. I only have like an inch or inch and half of substrate (gravel with some sand).
I have fluval fx4 so refilling will just be turning on the filter and using drain tube as intake from trash bin. Is there any easy way of getting the substrate out with the progress of miniature dwarf grass as it is? Its my second shot at growing the stuff and it looks like its finally just starting to get the runners.
I am concerned about the weight on the bottom of the tank as well, I did read some ideas of using plywood or something similar to distribute the weight evenly while carrying.

I plan to put the 32 gallon trash bin downstairs basically right next to where the tank will be going. Ill run hose from upstairs to down stairs and drain the water straight to the trash bin. I only have like an inch or inch and half of substrate (gravel with some sand).
I have fluval fx4 so refilling will just be turning on the filter and using drain tube as intake from trash bin. Is there any easy way of getting the substrate out with the progress of miniature dwarf grass as it is? Its my second shot at growing the stuff and it looks like its finally just starting to get the runners.
I am concerned about the weight on the bottom of the tank as well, I did read some ideas of using plywood or something similar to distribute the weight evenly while carrying.

As long as you can drain the water to a bin right next to its new home, seems like a sound plan to me. A bin full of water would be to heavy to move otherwise.

Even the stratum could be put into a few buckets for ease of moving afterwards.

I never even though about getting glass holders as mentioned above, but after reading his post, my amazon order is placed. :)

Moving a tank with anything in it will stress the glass especially the joints so I wouldn't recommend it. Also it could slip when placed on a board which could be dangerous.
I recently moved my 260lt and thought I could move some crypt thickets, but it didn't work. I had to pull them all up and replant them but at least I was able to give the substrate a good clean with a gravel cleaner before removing it.
Good luck!

As long as you can drain the water to a bin right next to its new home, seems like a sound plan to me. A bin full of water would be to heavy to move otherwise.

Even the stratum could be put into a few buckets for ease of moving afterwards.

I never even though about getting glass holders as mentioned above, but after reading his post, my amazon order is placed. :)
I ended up getting this done on Nov 25th. Started at night and quickly regretted that because it took much longer than I anticipated. I purchased one of those big outdoor trash bins from walmart for like $10 and set it downstairs next to where the tank was going.

Hooked up a hose and ran it downstairs to the trashbin and drained 30+ gallons. I took the decorations out of the tank but left the gravel and mini dwarf grass in the tank, plus some water that was too low to syphon, but ended up being enough to splash back and forth which pretty much erased any grass I had growing.

I did purchase this wood wall shelf looking thing from menards, basically two long pieces of wood with several wood pieces in between, like a very skinny ladder. I also purchased some ratchet straps because the forearm forklifts were like three times as much for basically the same concept.

I convinced my girlfriend it wouldnt be so bad, but we did not use the wood because we thought it may slide. I took apart the ratchet straps and ran the straps criss cross under the tank. We each wrapped the strap around our wrist a few times and lifted it that way. The stairs were tricky for sure, plus about half way down my girlfriend was tapping out. Was a little sketchy for a minute but after she took a break while I stood there holding my end, we finally got it set up.

I filled the water back up using my fx4 to suck the water in and all is and has been good. No fish casualties, but did have a close call with one of my larger glofish rainbow sharks jumping out of the tupperware he was in, bouncing off of the table and then to the kitchen floor. Id say out of everything, the part I wish I prepared for more would be containers for holding the fish.

I ended up using, like, pyrex glass bowls, a gallon drink container, tupperware, and tried covering with napkins so they wouldnt jump out. Plus, after a bit of time went by I started worrying about whether they were ok in just still water for that long. Attaching a photo to give a visual of the fun late night

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201125-131454_Cox Homelife.png
    Screenshot_20201125-131454_Cox Homelife.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 95
Ha ha, sounds like your girlfriend is a keeper!
I only moved mine across the lounge but my wife was unable to complete the final lift to get the tank back up onto its new cabinet, so I had to enlist a neighbour's help.
I was lucky enough to have a spare 12 gallon tank to park the fish in and I opted for a load of small buckets for the remaining water that I didn't lose when cleaning and removing the gravel.
I also had a late night because despite levelling the cabinet before I started, when the water was 6 inches from the top it became apparent that it was far from level! By new the fish were back in. I had no choice but to drain it again in order to pack out the base. I can only assume that the laminate flooring settled a bit as I added weight. I got away with draining it to 3 inches so the fish stayed in. Like you I learned some lessons for next time!

I hope both of you are enjoying the new location of th fish tank! Sounds like an ordeal but you did it!

I ended up getting this done on Nov 25th. Started at night and quickly regretted that because it took much longer than I anticipated. I purchased one of those big outdoor trash bins from walmart for like $10 and set it downstairs next to where the tank was going.

Hooked up a hose and ran it downstairs to the trashbin and drained 30+ gallons. I took the decorations out of the tank but left the gravel and mini dwarf grass in the tank, plus some water that was too low to syphon, but ended up being enough to splash back and forth which pretty much erased any grass I had growing.

I did purchase this wood wall shelf looking thing from menards, basically two long pieces of wood with several wood pieces in between, like a very skinny ladder. I also purchased some ratchet straps because the forearm forklifts were like three times as much for basically the same concept.

I convinced my girlfriend it wouldnt be so bad, but we did not use the wood because we thought it may slide. I took apart the ratchet straps and ran the straps criss cross under the tank. We each wrapped the strap around our wrist a few times and lifted it that way. The stairs were tricky for sure, plus about half way down my girlfriend was tapping out. Was a little sketchy for a minute but after she took a break while I stood there holding my end, we finally got it set up.

I filled the water back up using my fx4 to suck the water in and all is and has been good. No fish casualties, but did have a close call with one of my larger glofish rainbow sharks jumping out of the tupperware he was in, bouncing off of the table and then to the kitchen floor. Id say out of everything, the part I wish I prepared for more would be containers for holding the fish.

I ended up using, like, pyrex glass bowls, a gallon drink container, tupperware, and tried covering with napkins so they wouldnt jump out. Plus, after a bit of time went by I started worrying about whether they were ok in just still water for that long. Attaching a photo to give a visual of the fun late night
Gosh your GF helped you...what is she Wonder Woman? You owe her big time....LOL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back