Relatively peaceful chichlids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

revengeishere

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Are there any breed or species of chiclids that is good in a tank with tiger barbs?

Im not really concerned about the tiger babrs picking on the chiclids as i have 10 of them, and might be adding more, and they usually keep to themselves(no incident of ANY fin nipping, yet.) I want a chiclid that is peaceful and won't pick on the tiger babrbs and most important of all, not eat them. I have a 75 gallon tank and i also have 20 danios in them(will prolly trasfer them to the 100 gallon.

Anyways, im also looking for something that has bright coloring.

thanx, and any help wud be appreciated.

I would suggest Satanoperca jurapari or Geophagus daemon both of which are large peaceful cichlids,they will however need a substrate of sand or very fine gravel.
You could also look into Mesoauta festivus (Festivum) or Heros severus (Severum) again reasonable sized peaceful cichlids,Severums will destroy any plants you have but im guessing with the Tiger barbs you have the tank is not planted.
If you want something a bit smaller then any of the Apistogramma or pelvicahromis species of dwarf cichlid would also be ok too.

cat fish crazy said:
I would suggest Satanoperca jurapari or Geophagus daemon both of which are large peaceful cichlids,they will however need a substrate of sand or very fine gravel.
You could also look into Mesoauta festivus (Festivum) or Heros severus (Severum) again reasonable sized peaceful cichlids,Severums will destroy any plants you have but im guessing with the Tiger barbs you have the tank is not planted.
If you want something a bit smaller then any of the Apistogramma or pelvicahromis species of dwarf cichlid would also be ok too.
unfortunately, it is planted(tiger babrs like plants as thats what thier stripes are for, camouflage against a hevilly vegetated area.

anyways, im looking at sevrum and the first 2 and possibly the dwarf one.

Btw, do you guys know the availability of those dwarf chiclid?

how about the green severum?

I just got a firemouth cichlid. and he's beautiful. he's in a 37G with 6 tiger barbs, and 2 rosy barbs. seems to be working out ok so far.

The stripes on tiger barbs may be for camouflage but they will shred plants to pieces when the mood takes them.
As far as i know Green severum is just another name for the normal Severum,in my local area dwarf cichlids are easily obtainable.

you may also want to think about auloncara sp. I have some auloncara maisoni in my 75 the only thing is that if you get some juvies it may take a bit for them to get their colors....mine are about 4 months old and now he is getting his colors when all is said and done he is going to a bright royal blue and right now he only has a few spots.

I would go with a jag or festae in that 100 gal. But i guess thats me, and this is your thread :p

How about a blue dempsey or I like the idea of the jewels. They get brilliant color when breeding.

Check out www.apistogramma.com for dwarfs.

thanx guys, i did some research and ive settled for ram cichlids(they grow as big as 3 in). I looking around my LFSs for availability(so far, none of them carry it).

But im looking at firemouths, too. and other

thanx guys.

Sorry for this one, but dose any one know how a Chinese Algae Eater will
get with a firemouth.

Most reactions

trending

Back