Refusal Of The Overstocking Rule.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Finally got my new tank! Its not a 6ft, as only a 5ft would fit in the gap we had, but its a far better next home for my pictus than what they have currently.. thanks for your advice :)
That's definitely an improvement and at least the clown loach and pleco will also benefit from it :good: do try to get the clowns into a larger group at the same time you move the original one to the larger tank to avoid territorial issues and remember that it's usually a good idea to quarantine them or buy ones which have been at the shop for a while (or from a hobbyist). I think a 5" tank will be big enough for them until they reach around 10" long, which usually takes years (maybe 8-10 years? just a guess). Have fun with the new tank ;)

Thanks KittyKat,

yes thats the plan for the loaches, I think they will be the main fish in that tank.. don't worry I have a lovely 10ft wall in my hall thats begging for a bespoke tank someday :).. my dad joked its going to be like seaworld coming to our house before too long !!!

yes 100% agree on the quarrantine, I lost a smaller loach to ich and once it got a hold it was just impossible to cure.. I have found a place near here that quarrantine all of their fish for 2 months before even putting them up for sale.... thats the kind of fish shop to buy my expensive fish from!!!

Sadly we have another "chain store" locally and I've been in there before and walked the tanks and found many dead, diseased or dying..

As all the responsible sellers I know in the trade say, "vote with your wallet and feet" to keep the good shops open ;)

sadly both my pictus cats died suddenly in the night... no apparent reason, gutted :(

Thanks, I've been talking on this thread about stocking and finally got a bigger aquarium to house them and to lose them just before I was going to move them, is absolutely gutting.

hope im ok to give this link
No Not OK
This site is pretty good for telling u the % of stock and % of filter use, having said that dont rely on it and always do the research as far as fish selection. When stocking u have to look at the health of the fish, when adding something new keep an eye on them, give them time to settle in, see how the fish re-act to each other, look out for signs of stress or disease and if they show be prepared to take the fish back at a loss. I myself had 10 ember tetra, 2 apistogramma cacatuoides, 2 mollies and 4 amano shrimps in a 24*12*15, all were happy and healthy with 50% weekly water changes, just dont try cram everything in on the same lvl. look at the space they live in and the territory they require for me my apisto had the substrate, embers mid ground in the plants and mollies upper to mid.

Edited by Bignose: No, that link is not okay. That's why the swear filter turned it into '#'s. Thanks

Brett, I, on the other hand, have seen that site recommend fish for a tank where they would be able to go around in circles and nothing more, recommend species as compatible when one would eat the other, and similar. I recommend common sense and collective experience over that specific resource.

Brett, I, on the other hand, have seen that site recommend fish for a tank where they would be able to go around in circles and nothing more, recommend species as compatible when one would eat the other, and similar. I recommend common sense and collective experience over that specific resource.
The exact reason why i said dont rely on it and do the research aswell. I think aqa makes a good starting point for ppl to then move on and check the selected fish and compatabiltys with fish care sheets and google searches such as "keeping apistogramma cacatuoides with apistogramma macmasteri", no one source is correct 100% of the time so you have to pull it from many sources and ppl's experience.

also sry for posting the link, thought it was a semi usefull resource, didnt know it was barred.

Most reactions

Back