Refugium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
i was wondering, is it possible to use a breeder box as a fuge? it does look possible to grow micro algae in there and without the need to provide additional lighting since being inside the tank it gets light from the main unit.

You can probably satisfy the lighting requirement that way, but I'd be more worried about flowrate ;) It doesn't do much good if it doesn't move the water from the display through it constantly...

yeap i thought about that. a submerged filter pump is what i have it mind to get water through it. thanks for the reply! :D

One of the uses or a refugum s to grow plants to remove nitrates from the water. To do this normaly there is a seperate light that is on 24/7. Don T.

Yeah, assuming a 10 hour ish light cycle and a macro algae such as cheato (that wont invade the tank if it isnt lit 24/7) it should still have some effect though (obviously not as much as if it was lit 24/7 but if a fuge tank or sump isnt an option it is the next best thing). The other bonus would be a great place to increase the pod population.

Maybe you could get some LEDS to light it when the main lights go out?

i think i'd do just that with the LED for the fuge. using it when the main lights are off just like barney said. thanks guys!

So you're gonna pump water into this fuge, how will it get back to the display? That's the trickier part :)

From what I gather (and correct me if im wrong) its just a plastic/mesh box with holes in that sits in the main tank so any water pumped into it should come straight back out into the tank.

yeap thats how its going to be :) the breeder box would be full of holes and all so water should come straight out. the only set back is that i can only cycle water in one part of the tank unless i use more wave makers and all on both sides, or two breeder boxes one at each side of the tank

and merry christmas to all :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back