Reducing nitrate levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

StellaS

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing nitrate levels in a Biorb tank? I canā€™t do it through water changes as the tap water is about 40ppm so it doesnā€™t help. My tank is cycles so ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm bit the nitrate is around 40ppm which figures now that I have tested the tap water!

Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing nitrate levels in a Biorb tank? I canā€™t do it through water changes as the tap water is about 40ppm so it doesnā€™t help. My tank is cycles so ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm bit the nitrate is around 40ppm which figures now that I have tested the tap water!
You could buy a bottle of deionised water for now and mix it with some parts tap water and keep the ratio the same whenever you water change?

Thank you. I will try that.
No problem, bare in mind the water chemistry will be very different so just add gradually. Also it will become expensive to keep using deionised water, especially when you would need 3 parts deionised to 1 part tap in order to achieve 10ppm nitrate if tap is 40ppm. So I would look into the media and plants as the above have advised to try and keep it down more naturally. Check manual for maintenance which should show how to clean it, then you should be able to find somewhere to stick a bag of media.

No problem, bare in mind the water chemistry will be very different so just add gradually. Also it will become expensive to keep using deionised water, especially when you would need 3 parts deionised to 1 part tap in order to achieve 10ppm nitrate if tap is 40ppm. So I would look into the media and plants as the above have advised to try and keep it down more naturally. Check manual for maintenance which should show how to clean it, then you should be able to find somewhere to stick a bag of media.
I see Tetra do a Nitrateminus liquid. I donā€™t like adding chemicals but I might try adding it to the tap water before a water change and test it before adding to the aquarium as an emergency measure.

I remove nitrate from my tap water with a pozzani aquarium nitrate remover filter. It comes with hose lock clips which you can attach to your tap at home. No need to plumb it into your pipe work. Very simple to use, instantly removes nitrate from the tap water. Works best with a low flow rate ( tap on a little ). Only downside is the filter needs replacing fairly often

I see Tetra do a Nitrateminus liquid. I donā€™t like adding chemicals but I might try adding it to the tap water before a water change and test it before adding to the aquarium as an emergency measure.
Looks like it is designed to work with beneficial bacteria so it would need to be in the tank to work.
You could buy a bucket and cheap internal filter for a few quid Ā£10 eBay?, swap some of the foam out with the Nitrazorb as @mbsqw1d suggested. Then keep it somewhere out the way, spare room/shed. That would produce you some low nitrate water to add to the tank with no display tank mods or costly deionised water.

I remove nitrate from my tap water with a pozzani aquarium nitrate remover filter. It comes with hose lock clips which you can attach to your tap at home. No need to plumb it into your pipe work. Very simple to use, instantly removes nitrate from the tap water. Works best with a low flow rate ( tap on a little ). Only downside is the filter needs replacing fairly often
Good idea!

Add some floating plants like duckweed or water sprite. They will use the nitrates and you can throw excess plants on the garden or give them to friends.

Most reactions

trending

Back