Reducing My Water Hardness?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

griffo

Reaction score
Hi i have recently set up my new 260litre tank and i have completing a few water test so far and the results have been good except i cant seem to get the water hardness and carbonate hardness down.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
wayne

peat, bogwood and beech leaves will all do it... with a bit of a blackwater affect as a side affect, which can be good if that's what you're looking for.

How hard is your water and what fish are you keeping?

Thanks for those suggestions.

I havent yet got any fish i am waiting for the water to be right, however i am planning on stocking corys, common plec and pearl gouranmis. Plus others which i havent yet decided.

The water hardness is coming out at >21' and the carbonate hardness is coming out at 20'

Thanks
Wayne

Thanks for those suggestions.

I havent yet got any fish i am waiting for the water to be right, however i am planning on stocking corys, common plec and pearl gouranmis. Plus others which i havent yet decided.

The water hardness is coming out at >21' and the carbonate hardness is coming out at 20'

Thanks
Wayne

Leave it alone, your fish will acclimatise. Mine do.

Tom

It's best not to mess with your hardness. Many well meaning fish keepers do much more harm than good trying to get perfect water for their fish when the water they have will do just fine. Most often some LFS employee or website says that a certain fish comes from water that has xx pH and hardness requirements. So said fish keeper tries their best to meet those requirements. But most fish acclimate to whatever water you currently have (and if you got them locally, they have already been acclimated.)

So when said fish keeper tries all kinds of chemicals and methods to change their water chemistry to whatever native wild conditions the fish's ancestors came from and then plops their store bought fish into them, all kinds of strange things happen. The fish all of a sudden have to adapt to a totally foreign environment (again) adding unwarranted stress. So, now if they survive all these sudden changes, you have to do water changes...

It's a never ending cycle of re-acclimatization and unwarranted stress. It's best to stick with your native water from whatever source you get it from unless you have a very specific reason for doing so (breeding wild angels comes to mind) and have the knowledge, wisdom, and resources to get it right every time (hardness shock is a killer.)

Not a shred of bad advice in leaving it alone.
If you are worried test your tap water then post your test results and you could get an extremely short list of possible problems.

Your situation and water parameters will dictate your path.
You modifying your water will likely reduce you to tears.,

best wishes and best of luck!!

Thanks guys

I will leave the water hardness the same as it comes from my water supply to prevent any sudden changes in the future. In terms of fish that tolerate high water could any of you come up with a list for me please.

Thanks Wayne

if you wish to lower your hardness, easiest way I find is to mix RO (reverse osmosis) water and tap water, 50/50 I find is best. As long as you keep to a good maintenance schedule, you will have no problems with regards to the water hardness fluctuating.

Thanks guys

I will leave the water hardness the same as it comes from my water supply to prevent any sudden changes in the future. In terms of fish that tolerate high water could any of you come up with a list for me please.

Thanks Wayne
As to hard water, without #'s from your source , African rift lake species are rewarding and not as intensive as some would claim, Intelligent, active , and hardy for the most part. Lot of attention given to buffering and ph that isn't actually needed in 90% of cases.. and you claim hard water. so you might already be there in preferred parameters .
Test results?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back