Redecorated the toad habitat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So today I was finally allowed to get up and do stuff (ofc to a limit and stuff no heavy lifting or anything) so I got some love plants because before my toads had a ton of pigs but only a sad little pothos plant in the corner. So I planted two Strobilanthes dyedianus(aka Persian shield) and “under the sea” fish bone coleus right now it’s a lil sad but tada
image.jpg
(I know the water is dirty I swear I changed it last night)

So today I was finally allowed to get up and do stuff (ofc to a limit and stuff no heavy lifting or anything) so I got some love plants because before my toads had a ton of pigs but only a sad little pothos plant in the corner. So I planted two Strobilanthes dyedianus(aka Persian shield) and “under the sea” fish bone coleus right now it’s a lil sad but tadaView attachment 161331(I know the water is dirty I swear I changed it last night)
Oh ma goh auto correct
Pigs=plants
Love=more
How do you mess that up 😅

Oh ma goh auto correct
Pigs=plants
Love=more
How do you mess that up 😅
Well I can understand... Autocorrect does suck at times lol... You got those "love plants" for the frogs LOL 😂...
Could we see a pocture of the tank from front view? I like the plant colors in there! Especially the purple one!

Nice! I would personally remove those statue/figurine things to add more space for them to move. Other than that I might replace the log with a large cave or tunnel with moss. What kind of toads do you have?
I have American toads one male and a female (used to have two males but one didn’t make it over winter) if I had my way I would also remove the statues however they where given to my dad from his dad from Japan(I think) and he said that I need to make sure they are “used” (how do you use a statue?) so they get to be buried alive on repeat until I’m find a better spot. Also I’ll have to look into the cave thing

Well I can understand... Autocorrect does suck at times lol... You got those "love plants" for the frogs LOL 😂...
Could we see a pocture of the tank from front view? I like the plant colors in there! Especially the purple one!
The purple one is the Persian shield also here is the side view (you can see my sisters reflection XD had to have her take the picture because I’m still all twitchy)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 48
I have American toads one male and a female (used to have two males but one didn’t make it over winter) if I had my way I would also remove the statues however they where given to my dad from his dad from Japan(I think) and he said that I need to make sure they are “used” (how do you use a statue?) so they get to be buried alive on repeat until I’m find a better spot. Also I’ll have to look into the cave thing

Aw fair enough. I would "use" a statue by displaying it personally, like on a shelf or somewhere where people could see it. Yeah as far as I'm aware toads LOVE dark moist caves so I would look into it. Sick enclosure otherwise though. :)

The purple one is the Persian shield also here is the side view (you can see my sisters reflection XD had to have her take the picture because I’m still all twitchy)
View attachment 161335
Looks good.

(Also dont worry about the glare, cause its nearly unavoidable on all glass enclosures 😅)

I'm thinking of doing a terrarium but I'm unsure if its a good idea... I dont want to have too much on my hands as far as maintenance and stuff

(Also dont worry about the glare, cause its nearly unavoidable on all glass enclosures 😅)

I'm thinking of doing a terrarium but I'm unsure if its a good idea... I dont want to have too much on my hands as far as maintenance and stuff
Toads are like the easiest pet you could ever have. You clean their terrarium like once a year and you feed them crickets once every week and you spray them with water bottle in their terrarium every few days. You don’t need live plants unless you want it to look all pretty and stuff. you just need a shallow water dish. If you want more information on it or something thing you can PM me.

Toads are like the easiest pet you could ever have. You clean their terrarium like once a year and you feed them crickets once every week and you spray them with water bottle in their terrarium every few days. You don’t need live plants unless you want it to look all pretty and stuff. you just need a shallow water dish. If you want more information on it or something thing you can PM me.
Ok thanks! I may PM you sometime about it. What tank size do you keep them in?

Woah once a year? Seriously? Where are you getting your info from? A moist envoirnment will grow bacteria so much faster than lets say a corn snake terrarium since the humidity is a lot lower. I've kept reptiles and amphibians and you are dead wrong with your care if you bellieve you only have to clean it once a year. AND also feeding only once per week? BRO they are not snakes... you need to feed DAILY. I know crickets suck to deal with but that's your problem. Do you even know the ideal humidity percentage you need to keep them at? Do you have a hydrometer? This reply is so sketch.

Last edited:
I have a 25-30 but I have two toads currently and plan on adding three more so it’s a huge tank for just one
Ah ok, I'm kinda looking for something that can be in 20g or smaller and is really low maintance... I have a space that my mom says I can have something as long as it is not an aquarium (there is carpet in that area) and no spiders, snakes, or scorpions.
Woah once a year? Seriously? Where are you getting your info from? A moist envoirnment will grow bacteria so much faster than lets say a corn snake terrarium since the humidity is a lot lower. I've kept reptiles and amphibians and you are dead wrong with your care if you bellieve you only have to clean it once a year. AND also feeding only once per week? BRO they are not snakes... you need to feed DAILY. I know crickets suck to deal with but that's your problem. Do you even know the ideal humidity percentage you need to keep them at? Do you have a hydrometer?
I think she was exaggerating...

Ah ok, I'm kinda looking for something that can be in 20g or smaller and is really low maintance... I have a space that my mom says I can have something as long as it is not an aquarium (there is carpet in that area) and no spiders, snakes, or scorpions.

I think she was exaggerating...
Idk she seems a little inexperienced and I would never tell someone who is new to keeping toads to feed them once per week. EVER. Nor would I recommend cleaning the enclosure once per YEAR. There are also a lot of other herp keeping factors that are important to mention. For example, humidity and temp. None of which she touched on. Could you imagine if a newbie listened to that bad advice? Their toads would for sure die.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back