Red Worms?

LiquidLife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday, I found a 4" long red worm crawling up the side of the tank out of the water. It's really red, like a Red Wiggler earthworm. It's not flat. It's not a tubifex or blackworm. Today, i found about 12 more. When put in a jar, they don't form a ball (as tubifex do). They motivate like Red Wigglers do (not like leaches or nematodes). Could these be Red Wigglers that got in the tank via some organic potting soil I used on the plant 6 months ago--perhaps Wiggler eggs hatched underwater and these worms matured in the tank? Can't find any info on long red aquatic worm like these. Can anyone suggest what else these might be other thank Red Wigglers, and if they are Red Wigglers, how did they survive this long underwater? Thanks.

they sound like bloodworms to me

I've never seen a 4" long bloodworm... I don't have any better suggestions though!

EDIT: Also, a bloodworm wouldn't be climbing out of the water.

Nope, not bloodworms--way too long, fat and has no spikes on the head (doesn't have that scaly skin either, doesn't flip around through the water--in other words, definitely NOT bloodworms). I put a clump of dirt in the jar I'm keeping these red worms in and they've been sitting on the (damp) clump, rather than in the water. Wow, is this an alien life form?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back