Red Tiger Zenkeri Lotus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score

NYMPHAEA RUBRA Red Tiger Zenkeri Lotus​

Is how it is named on amazon where I bought it and what a cool name! It arrived as a seed (or whatever it would be called?) with 1 shoot.

I thought I'd share a success after all my questions and failures disclosed.

So impressed with the amazon seller of this, as it was very unexpected it would succeed based on 1) my experience so far with aquatic plants and 2) my trust in amazon sellers for third type of thing or in general.

But I love how this took off and love how it looks :)
IMG_20220623_144052.jpg

IMG_20220623_144139.jpg

I'm sure this could be ALOT redder and healthy!

But I'm shocked that with 8 plant types having failed, melted away and only the 1 yellowing plant who survived and spread but has seemed to decline in appearance mainly after I began gravel vacuuming (I think I took away all its nutrients)...

...that this random plant (and I really wanted a red one to flaviur up the tank)... Has actually grown!!! This plant must be hardy as heck!!!

Now I do have a query, if anyone else grows this and can say what is the key difference between this plant's needs and others that it grows so well and easy in my tank where there are so many kinks still!? Because it might help me work out what's NOT there and what is there if it has nutrient or hardiness needs which are fulfilled where other's are not.

Also, if any other plants out there are as easy to grow and as beautiful, I'd love names to research please!

Thanks a lot everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_144050.jpg
    IMG_20220623_144050.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220623_144052.jpg
    IMG_20220623_144052.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 30
Looks great! I never have any luck with lotus's - I had one that did well about 15 years ago but since then just cant get them to grow.

From what I know the leaves will reach the surface and to make it grow more lower leaves keep trimming them down. I like the surface appearance though.

Wills

Looks great! I never have any luck with lotus's - I had one that did well about 15 years ago but since then just cant get them to grow.

From what I know the leaves will reach the surface and to make it grow more lower leaves keep trimming them down. I like the surface appearance though.

Wills
Thanks but how odd, it truly is luck because I am at square 1 trying to understand what plants need in an aquarium. Maybe they need hard water lol

Looks Good!
RTL my 2nd favorite plant. Here is a pic of mine in a 55g. Just a word of caution, they do develop long roots and can take over a tank. Started with two bulbs have since sold more than a dozen. They do send off surface shooters, I just trimmed the stem close to the bulb to coax into a bush. I use root tabs have medium hard water.

RTL Bush.jpg

RTL in 55g.jpg

Good Luck!

As with all red-leaf plants, light is the key. Plants appear the colour they are because the leaves reflect that light. Most plants are green because they reflect green light. Green light is not needed for photosynthesis, so an abundance of green light is reflected. Red and blue are the two colour wavelengths that drive photosynthesis, and if red is also being reflected off, it needs more red light. This is why many have lush green plants but little luck with red. It is the light.

Obviously more red light also means good nutrition, but this does not--repeat, not--mean more iron. Plants require a proportional nutrient base.

Edit. Water flow is important. The "Red" varieties (these may or may not be distinct species) all occur in still waterways, whereas the "green" varieties seem to occur in flowing waters. When I had the red variety in my 90g, the flow was minimal, and the covering of floating leaves being red was impressive indeed.

Last edited:
They are touchy. I had one thrive,then dive. From red to dead. I changed nothing. So why it died in my no Co2 aquarium is anybody's guess.

btw, Tropica told me via youtube that "Sometimes Tiger Lotus do that". Yet, plenty of people get lucky and have them cover the aquarium with large red leaves. I think I should have upped the iron as it grew larger. Just a hunch.

btw, Tropica told me via youtube that "Sometimes Tiger Lotus do that". Yet, plenty of people get lucky and have them cover the aquarium with large red leaves. I think I should have upped the iron as it grew larger. Just a hunch.
So I'm unsure if it is because I added a second aquarium stone/air pump, or if it's because I uprooted and replanted the lotus in a new position, but the last two days, two separate leaves have come loose and floated on the surface so it is losing leaves. As well, a third leaf looks like it is rotting away... so unsure, but yeah it is flakey lol

I have previously suggested requirements for this plant. If you could provide some info on the light and fertilizer(s) it should help. But the photos suggest light lacking in the red which is not going to benefit, and I suspect nutrients are not sufficient as there is evidence in this in the stem plants too.

I have previously suggested requirements for this plant. If you could provide some info on the light and fertilizer(s) it should help. But the photos suggest light lacking in the red which is not going to benefit, and I suspect nutrients are not sufficient as there is evidence in this in the stem plants too.

There was a lot of info regarding nutrients and I won't figure it out anytime soon as it costs, and I don't even know where to start. The light is very bright, there's just a bit of duckweed and there is now tannins from the mopani wood.

There was a lot of info regarding nutrients and I won't figure it out anytime soon as it costs, and I don't even know where to start. The light is very bright, there's just a bit of duckweed and there is now tannins from the mopani wood.

On the nutrients, am I correct to assume you are not using any fertilizers? If yes, then that is problem #1. A comprehensive supplement is all you need--please, do not get started adding individual nutrients, that is a certain recipe for failure unless you have considerable botanical experience behind you. I have used comprehensive supplements for more than 30 years and had/have no complaints. And as I said previously, I had this particular plant growing like a weed in my 90g tank for years. As you are in the UK, look for TNT Lite. One dose following the weekly water change is all you need. However, for the lotus, I would also add a substrate tab. I think TNT make one, but if not, Seachem's Flourish Tabs are superb. One inserted next to the plant, replaced every 3 months (the TNT made have a different timeframe) makes a huge difference.

As for the light, spectrum is in my view likely an issue here, but I am only going from the photos. Can you find either the Kelvin number (it will be four digits with the suffix "K") or the CRI (colour rendering index) number?

On the nutrients, am I correct to assume you are not using any fertilizers? If yes, then that is problem #1. A comprehensive supplement is all you need--please, do not get started adding individual nutrients, that is a certain recipe for failure unless you have considerable botanical experience behind you. I have used comprehensive supplements for more than 30 years and had/have no complaints. And as I said previously, I had this particular plant growing like a weed in my 90g tank for years. As you are in the UK, look for TNT Lite. One dose following the weekly water change is all you need. However, for the lotus, I would also add a substrate tab. I think TNT make one, but if not, Seachem's Flourish Tabs are superb. One inserted next to the plant, replaced every 3 months (the TNT made have a different timeframe) makes a huge difference.

As for the light, spectrum is in my view likely an issue here, but I am only going from the photos. Can you find either the Kelvin number (it will be four digits with the suffix "K") or the CRI (colour rendering index) number?
I use TNT lite. I haven't for ages but I dosed earlier today. Problem is, I was sure it just made the tank burst out with green algae. Maybe it also contributed to black. If that happens, I'll stop the fertilizer again. Well the lotus was thriving without anything. Why would it just get sick now? I'll see how the TNT does and if worth it after, I'll get the tab :) I didn't buy the light as I adopted this tank, I'm unsure how I'd find that info??

I use TNT lite. I haven't for ages but I dosed earlier today. Problem is, I was sure it just made the tank burst out with green algae. Maybe it also contributed to black. If that happens, I'll stop the fertilizer again. Well the lotus was thriving without anything. Why would it just get sick now? I'll see how the TNT does and if worth it after, I'll get the tab :) I didn't buy the light as I adopted this tank, I'm unsure how I'd find that info??

This plant has a tuber that stores nutrients so it could live off those for a while. The substrate tabs will not cause algae, at least the Flourish Tabs don't, because they do not dissolve into the upper water column. Liquid fertilizer could cause or benefit algae, it is still the light that is critical though. Plants need food.

On the light, if it is LED check if there is some data at one end, or check the manufacturer's site online. Spectrum is one thing, the intensity might be somewhat controlled by duration. Using a timer is beneficial to plants and fish, and can help thwart algae (once everything else is close to balanced).

This plant has a tuber that stores nutrients so it could live off those for a while. The substrate tabs will not cause algae, at least the Flourish Tabs don't, because they do not dissolve into the upper water column. Liquid fertilizer could cause or benefit algae, it is still the light that is critical though. Plants need food.

On the light, if it is LED check if there is some data at one end, or check the manufacturer's site online. Spectrum is one thing, the intensity might be somewhat controlled by duration. Using a timer is beneficial to plants and fish, and can help thwart algae (once everything else is close to balanced).
I plan to get one of those daylight cycle simulator lights but are pretty expensive for now. I'll get the info and respond when I am home in a few days :) thanks. I'll also get the tabs!

I would bet on uprooting and moving it was a big factor. They don't seem to take to root disturbances of any kind.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back