Red tiger lotus, trim or no.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I am a little behind on my trimming. One of my Tiger Lotus has thrown a few leaves, racing to the surface. Part of me wants to nip them, the other part wants to let it grow.

Not sure which way to go, I don't have anything with particularly high light requirements. I think lily pads would be cool, also think the plant could be a bit fuller. 🤔

Give me the good, the bad, the ugly experiences you've had growing tiger lotus.

Attachments

• 20220507_152007.jpg
    20220507_152007.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 36
I will often cut the lilly pad leaves as they will quickly cut off the light to the rest of the tank. Once they start shooting the leaves up they don't stop. In my experience the main plant then tends to become a bit stragly and bare as the leaves stem out. Cutting them off will help the plant grow bushier and look more full/lush. I have several lotuses and have had them for many years with many reproducing on me. My biggest one was in my 75 gallon a dozen years ago. When I pulled it out of the tanks its root system was the entire bottom of the tank, over 4 feet long! I can only imaging how established my lotuses are in my 120 and 125.
here it is in my 125, last week I cut half a dozen leaves off as they were sitting on the top. Once they are partially submerged they change entirely and a lot more leathery and green. They get to be dinner plate size too, very big leaves once exposed.
IMG_20220507_185915104.jpg

IMG_20210706_131329738.jpg

IMG_20210706_131344662.jpg

Here is one in my 120 gallon, sorry about the reflection of my camera/hand. Also if you look to the bottom right of the image, you will see a tiny lotus leaf from a baby plant that has embedded itself in the pogostamen (the spiny leafed plant)
IMG_20220507_185830472.jpg

I also have them in my 5 gallon tanks, love the fact that they will grow to the size of the tank as well as the amount of nutrients provided by the tank inhabitants. Sorry the tanks aren't very clear since I leave it natural for infusoria to grow and feed the betas.
IMG_20220507_185945258.jpg

IMG_20220507_190040831.jpg

IMG_20220507_190016069.jpg

Thank you for the info. This is the first time they have thrown lily pads up, guess it'll be the last as they'll get snipped now. I knew there root system was quite extensive, which I like as many of my fish are cichlids, they can't dig or pull them up with solid roots.

No, the plant will take some time-if ever to stop sending up the pads up. May take a couple weeks or days till the next round goes through. Doesn't bother me, the plant's beauty makes it worthwhile for me.

RTL one of my favorites. A few years back started with two bulbs. As mentioned, trimming the shooters will help it become more bushy.
They propagated so well, I had them in all my tanks (6), even started selling them.

RTL Bush.jpg

RTL in 55g.jpg
Planted 55g.jpg

Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back