Red thing on anal of Black neon tetra

itsljtoscano

Reaction score
There's a red thing on my black neon tetras anal and the next day i found it gasping for air and it verry weak. And i notice its scale are falling off on the anal part. So I had to separate it if its a infection. Can please anyone tell me whats happening? Anyone experience this occurrence on their black neon?
Its still alive but its already lying sideways. Its too weak.
7dcf99096f4a0f865f7b590cd6f6d761.jpg
e7c5548783e33c648949fa0d9b058672.jpg
87c4b288537e2367ad9e7e2b1ad58cf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

the fish has a bad bacterial infection. I would euthanize it because they don't normally survive at that stage.

check the fish's bottom to see if any small red hair like things are sticking out. If yes then the fish has thread worms (camallanus) and all the fish will need treating with something like Levamisole.

Make sure the water quality in the aquarium is good and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Monitor the remaining fish for any red patches and use a broad spectrum fish medication or anti-biotic on them if they do.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

the fish has a bad bacterial infection. I would euthanize it because they don't normally survive at that stage.

check the fish's bottom to see if any small red hair like things are sticking out. If yes then the fish has thread worms (camallanus) and all the fish will need treating with something like Levamisole.

Make sure the water quality in the aquarium is good and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Monitor the remaining fish for any red patches and use a broad spectrum fish medication or anti-biotic on them if they do.
A while ago when i came back. Sad to say its dead.
I had no choice but to investigate it. So i press its stomach to find out its not a bacterial infection. But it was pregnant. [emoji853] if this is the case, how come it cannot release its eggs. Maybe i have no male? Or my aquarium is not the type for their breeding grounds.
Can you help me figure out the cause?

a5bdf5ed9a5abe5971d561c1eb4ec35f.jpg

Female aquarium fish that are well fed normally have eggs but they require the right conditions to breed. Tetras need soft slightly acid water (GH below 50ppm and pH below 7.0) to induce breeding. Obviously you need a male too and the conditions in the tank need to be correct. If one of those factors is not right the fish won't breed.

Having said this, the fish did have a bacterial infection, which is characterised by the red belly and pale section of body above the red when the bacteria has eaten away the mucous layer and part of the skin.

Doing big daily water changes for a week will help to dilute any disease organisms and reduce the chance of any other fish contracting the problem.

Female aquarium fish that are well fed normally have eggs but they require the right conditions to breed. Tetras need soft slightly acid water (GH below 50ppm and pH below 7.0) to induce breeding. Obviously you need a male too and the conditions in the tank need to be correct. If one of those factors is not right the fish won't breed.

Having said this, the fish did have a bacterial infection, which is characterised by the red belly and pale section of body above the red when the bacteria has eaten away the mucous layer and part of the skin.

Doing big daily water changes for a week will help to dilute any disease organisms and reduce the chance of any other fish contracting the problem.
Yes Colin, you're correct. And i also have too many fish inside. I need more plants. And water changes. Thank you very much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back