red thin worms coming out of guppies anus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wolell

Reaction score
i have a 33l tank and so far i did regular waterchanges - meaning once a week about 1/3rd of the water. i started off with two julii catfish- they are miraculously still alive and well - 8 neon tetras and three guppies. a few neons died of what i think was the "new tank disease".
in the past few months i lost two guppies to dropsy - treatment with antibiotics did not help - one guppie after succesfully treating for whitespots probably to swimbladder disease and two female guppies to what they said in the fish-shop was hernia?!

my last guppie that died showed symptoms of swimbladder problems: not able to lift herself off the ground and in the end lying on her side. i removed her from the others and put her into a seperate tank.
the funny thing was that a few hours befoe she died two threadlike red "things showed out of her anus about 2 mm long. when i came down the next morning she was dead and those things were still there. i decided not to dispose off her just yet but left it til the evening. the two red thin things had by then made their way out of her body.

i am just happy that the guppy did not die in the main tank! because of all the losses i had decided to set everything up from scratch and when i moved the fish back to the "new" tank i noticed that something was wrong with her.

description: about 6 to 7 mm long, a small ball-like head on one end and pointy on the other end. they are red, and app. 2/10 of a mm wide in their midsection.

any idea what they are ore where they came from?

thanks!!!

:/ :dunno:

Sounds like a parasitic worm called callamanus. It is common in livebearers and introduced through feeding live foods. The treatment isnt easy and probably best to consult a vet.

Thank you so much!!!!

now i finally understand what has been killing my fish all the time! i thought it was all my fault! one of the first guppies i got from the petshop must have had the worms. supposedly she died of hernia. her anus had been completely ripped open! must have been the worms. and the dropsy cases were probably caused by the worms, too...no wonder the antibiotics didn't help!!

i will call my vet first thing tomorrow and get this Levamisole and start treatment. my last guppy seems to be doing okay, but i can already see a worm protruding from her anus... :(

thank you thank you thank you!!!

now i am hopeful that my next fish won't die!!!

:D

Good luck with your guppies and let us know if you get it under control :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back