Red Tailed Shark Won't Eat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Olive.g

Reaction score
I recently got a RTS and I've never seen it eat. I have tried tropical flakes, blood worms, sinking pellets (that my previous Cory Cats loved), and algae wafers that sink. The flakes sink eventually but then they just sit there, and the blood worms float but my shark doesn't go to the top of the tank very often so I eventually take them out. And the sinking pellets and wafers sink and then also just sit there so I eventually remove those as well.

My shark is in a 30 gallon tank and right now the only fish in the tank. Temperature moves between 76.6-76.7 degrees in Fahrenheit. I tested the water with the API fresh water master test kit and the results seemed normal. PH at 7.6 (a little high I know). Ammonia at 0.25 ppm. Nitrite and Nitrate both at zero.

My shark does seem to nibble around the substrate and decorations but I didn't think that would be enough. He is a baby so he didn't have much color in his tail to begin with but this morning I woke up and it was clear. I have a decoration that's a rock wall and has many different caves and openings in it that he swims through. I have a small bridge and live plans in the tank as well. There's also plenty of open space for him to swim around in. I'm just worried the little guy is unhappy and that's why he isn't eating.

Any advice will be helpful! Thanks!

I have one as well, swims around a lot like you say.. Mine nibbles on the live plants as well as the driftwood.. Might seem like hes not eating, but he is. He is finding things here and there.. Keep an eye out for changes, but Im sure your RTS will be fine!

I had one a while ago and I rarely saw him eat.

He lived a full life and grew to max size.

Your water parameters are concerning and may have something to do with his lack of appetite. The little amount of ammonia, and zero nitrate and nitrite show a tank that has only just begun to cycle. How long has this tank been set up? Your main concern at this point is to get that ammonia to zero and keep it there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back