Red tailed shark breathing very heavily

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sandarora

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for your guidance. I have a red tailed shark who is close to 11 years old. He has not eaten for last 2-3 days. He had a fungus like growth close to the mouth. I was doing Pimafix and Melafix treatment for last couple of days. That fungus growth seems to be gone but he is breathing extremely hard and keeps coming up to hit the water surface which he never used to do. Today, I did a 40% water change and started the Kanaplex treatment. Water readings also seem to be fine. Nitrate is at a higher side and close to 40 but that has always been the case with this tank. Its a 35 gal tank. Pls guide.

Poor thing i lost my large 6 inch red tail no real problems showing i hope it survives

I would be careful using medications unless you can with some certainty identify the root cause. A photo might help other members identify the issue. A white growth is unlikely to be fungus.

At 11 years this fish is getting on, as the normal lifespan is deemed to be 15 years. The high nitrates may be a contributor here. This species is intolerant of nitrate and/or poor water conditions. The habitat where this species can still be found is instructive of its aquarium needs; it lives in gaps between the rocks and its habitat is characterized by large rocks and a sandy bottom. This area is fast flown by tides and the depth of water is more than 1 meter (Kulabtong, et al, 2014).

We now know that nitrate levels tend to slowly affect fish, weakening them generally, which makes them more susceptible to various problems. Nitrate at 40 ppm is more than double what it should ever be. If nitrate in the source water is zero, it is occurring solely within the biological system and should be easily controlled. Larger water changes, or more frequent, less food, not overstocking, and live plants are all relevant factors. If some or most of the nitrate is in the source water, that requires different handling.

A35 gallon tank is small quarters for this fish, and that may have been another contributing issue. Also other fish species. These are just general suggestions, but each of them is without question something that can affect a fish.

Hi all, really appreciate the inputs. Pic attached.
  • I had a smaller (ring) airstone which I have now replaced with a slightly bigger one to add more aeration.
  • I have been using this Aquaclear 50 filter. As of now, I have removed the charcoal layer (middle) so there is bottom foam layer and the topmost bio layer. I clean the foam layer as it gets dirty (by using some of the tank water) but I haven't changed the topmost bio layer for a while now. Pls share if I need to make any changes here.
IMG_9006.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One issue I see is no plants. On a quick search these fish like being around plants such as hornwort or water wisteria. They also like caves but I would not consider what you have a cave. Seems more like just an arch.

By bio layer in your filtration I assume that you mean ceramics. I have seen instructions on ceramic media that says to change every three months. Someone may correct me but this makes no sense to me. The ceramics are to give large surfaces for good bacteria to thrive. If you change the ceramics you are throwing away what may well be your largest colony of good bacteria. Ceramics are not something that wears out like carbon (which I don't use). The manufacturers just say to replace to get more of your money.

Good luck and well wishes as to your fish but at 11 years old, and without a setup that would make the beastie happy, the critter is really old.

I concur with above. Back to the "white growth," I cannot see anything on the fish in this photo. Can you get a clear photo of the fish that shows this spot?

It's odd that the nitrates are that high in a 35g tank when the shark is the only inhabitant and hasn't eaten in days. What was your usual water change schedule before this?

How old is the charcoal part of your filter? If you've had it for more than a month, then it's pretty useless other than as a surface area for bacteria.

Personally I'd be replacing it with new charcoal to help remove the various medications, and water change them out and get the nitrates under control.

I'd also get a load of live plant - a few bunches of hornwort, anacharis, water wysteria - some fast growing stem plants - would be inexpensive, but helpful for water quality and making him feel more secure. Some more decor he can hide in, like slate pieces set up as caves for him, would be much more suitable than the bare tank.

At his age, I doubt that we're looking at seriously extending his lifespan, but can at least try to make sure he's comfortable for whatever time he has left.

Hi, I gave the second dose of Kanaplex today. Still no improvement in her condition. She is sitting in a corner of the tank and breathing very heavily. Also, not eaten for last 4-5 days. To answer some of the points above regarding the filter layers, I have not cleaned or replaced the bio ceramics layer in the filter for a long time now. My understanding was thats the area where good bacteria live. I do replace the charcoal (middle) layer in 1-2 months. As of now, the charcoal layer is removed as I have been doing the medication.

It would probably help us if you cold post a clear photo so we can see this white growth.

Using any medication will have an impact on fish because of their physiology. This is what makes treatment for fish issues so difficult, knowing exactly what the issue is and then doing the safest and most effective treatment. If this is some sort of internal growth, the Kanaplex is only doing more harm by further weakening the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back