Red tail shark - Thailand biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

marcan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to set up a new 55G aquarium and I'm still not sure what will be in it.

I want a nice looking biotope but still not sure which one yet.
My #1 would be a Thailand biotope with a Red tail shark as the center piece.

I did some digging but still not sure what a red tail shark biotope would look like,
Does anyone have this kind of set up? If so, how did you set up it (substrat, plants, rocks, wood, lights, water pump?,etc.)
Any experiences, pictures or websites would be really appreciated!

Thanks! :)
Marc

They are native to Thailand- home of Clown Loaches,Tinfoil Barbs,and many other well known aquarium fish. So fish that are active make the best tankmates. Slow fish are targeted by RTS to a constantly stressed life. They also cannot be kept with conspecifics. Not their own kind or similar like red finned sharks. Unless its public aquaria where I've seen it done and -yes,many large Red Tails Sharks looks pretty good!
They might be from streams..but they never seem to be looking for any current. Calm waters, clean, and warm water is all they ask. They really like live brine shrimp..those lips can gobble them up. But they will eat most fish foods..just takes longer to nibble on pellets after they soften.
They are in top ten best looking freshwater aquarium fish. But perpetual grouchy and want you to get off their lawn...

Thanks @Stan510

I didn't realize clown loaches and RTS were from the same region.
I'm going to do some more digging with fishes.

Any tips on substrat/rock/driftwood design if I want to mimic the look of thailand habitat?

Thanks !

Well,I should have left it as "Loaches and Barbs"..as some I mentioned are from other Asian countries. Being they are near extinct in the wild from dam building,we might never know what the best habitat was for them or what all the many other species were.
I would guess look up various Gouramis also.
It is the modern world that an old time aquatic favorite like the Red Tail Shark?...no photos or videos at all of them in the wild.

Thanks @madmark285 !

I tried to order the magazine but the process is weird. You must pay by PayPal and then give your mailing address by private message on Facebook.

I'll stick to their website ! ?

Thanks all for your inputs!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back