Red Tail Shark ok to put in 5 gal hospital tank??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It is possible that fish doesn't actually have ich - the photo doesn't look like typical ich. There are other conditions which have a similar look, and these can be treated with salt.

Did the fish look as though its body was covered in grains of salt? In your photo, it doesn't look quite like that......

It is possible that fish doesn't actually have ich - the photo doesn't look like typical ich. There are other conditions which have a similar look, and these can be treated with salt.

Did the fish look as though its body was covered in grains of salt? In your photo, it doesn't look quite like that......
Here's a photo.
20210518_100408.jpg

There are those who disagree, but I prefer the simplest, safest way to treat my fish in the event of an ich outbreak, and that is with the heat method.

Ya, that's where I'm at. I tried the API Super Ick treatment and it killed a bunch of my tetras within a day and I'm thinking it may have had lingering effects. Right now I'm doing the heat trick in my 30 gal. Fingers crossed!

In my opinion, the less chemicals we add to our tanks, the better....and simply raising the tank temp is "free", which also happens to be my favorite price ;)

In my opinion, the less chemicals we add to our tanks, the better....and simply raising the tank temp is "free", which also happens to be my favorite price ;)
Haha, speaking my language! Thanks for the insight, Slaphppy7! I fully agree. The more natural the better. I do have Ick Guard tablets as a last resort but hoping I don't have to resort to that.

Update : Black Molly has now passed. Also, my heater is struggling to keep up with 86 degrees.

Update: Shark has lost its color. I'm not sure whats going on. He's swimming around more than when I first put the salt in and I'm watching him eat. Is this him getting better??

Attachments

• 20210518_151554.jpg
    20210518_151554.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210518_151551.jpg
    20210518_151551.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 45
Update: Shark has lost its color. I'm not sure whats going on. He's swimming around more than when I first put the salt in and I'm watching him eat. Is this him getting better??
I think he may die if he's that colour. My clown loach was a deathly pale like this, whiskers covered in little white specks and looking very sorry for himself the night he died of ICH.

Hopefully your red tail makes it, but I can't promise anything. From the colour of it I would have said it already looked dead.

I think he may die if he's that colour. My clown loach was a deathly pale like this, whiskers covered in little white specks and looking very sorry for himself the night he died of ICH.

Hopefully your red tail makes it, but I can't promise anything. From the colour of it I would have said it already looked dead.
I tried to put him back home and left to answer a message for work and I went back couldn't find him in tank and he jumped out the tank and died.. Thanks all.

Crazy thing is I prob could have saved him. Once I couldn't find him in his normal places, I started looking around the tank. He literally jumped a good 10 ft out of the tank. I'm so sad. :,( My first fish.

I think I'm just going to leave the shark in the hospital tank for now and treat with salt since he actually looks happy. His fin is standing up, which it wasn't in the home tank, which is probably a good indicator. His color came back, too! I put some relaxing music on and hes by the Himalayan salt lamp, so hes feeling the energy, lol!
Do salt lamps really matter ? I thought it was just me who think my fish feel happy while near a salt lamp.
salt lamp near aquarium.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back