Red-tail catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Status
Not open for further replies.

Femalefishkeeper

Reaction score
Hi :)

I have a red-tail catfish that Iā€™ve had for nearly 2 months. We feed it king prawns cut up into little pieces, and it wonā€™t eat anything else.

About 3 hours after feeding, itā€™s spitting some of the food back out, as if itā€™s being sick, but the food looks like it hasnā€™t been touched afterwards. It will not eat anything else.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? We have tried with pellets but it just wonā€™t touch them. Itā€™s healthy, happy and growing it just seems to be a fussy eater!

I will attach videos. P.S. I know my glass needed cleaning, I did it right after taking this video donā€™t worry!

Thank you in advance

7663167E-FEFD-43D5-AFC3-656F2ED9B584.jpeg

Attachments

• E57392E5-B4BD-45FA-B52A-A7DD7C6DCF1F.jpeg
    E57392E5-B4BD-45FA-B52A-A7DD7C6DCF1F.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 30
How often are you feeding it? They don't need to eat twice a day. One feeding at dusk every few days is plenty. Try worms, meal worms, fresh meat (no fat) in addition to shrimp. Do you have a cave or some place for it to hide? Also, I can't tell from your picture, but you do have a one to two thousand-gallon tank for it to grow up in, right? They can grow to four feet.

That's a very cool-looking fish! I wouldn't worry as long as it's eating most of the time and otherwise acting normal. Sometimes fish will taste something, carry it around for a while, and spit it out. He might just be full, or he might be bored with shrimp and ready for some variety.

Archer is right--these things get HUGE, as you probably know. Before long you'll be throwing in whole lobsters...

Another thought: If the catfish doesn't eat the prawn chunks right away, or if it spits them out and doesn't show anymore interest, I'd remove them after a few minutes. Decomposing inverts can cause surprisingly big ammonia spikes.

How often are you feeding it? They don't need to eat twice a day. One feeding at dusk every few days is plenty. Try worms, meal worms, fresh meat (no fat) in addition to shrimp. Do you have a cave or some place for it to hide? Also, I can't tell from your picture, but you do have a one to two thousand-gallon tank for it to grow up in, right? They can grow to four feet.
Ive been feeding it twice a day so it is possible that I have been giving it too much. Yeah it does have a cave to hide also. At the moment itā€™s not in a tank that big, Iā€™m my partner is building a new task as well speak today stretches across my living room so there will be more than enough room for it. Thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it

That's a very cool-looking fish! I wouldn't worry as long as it's eating most of the time and otherwise acting normal. Sometimes fish will taste something, carry it around for a while, and spit it out. He might just be full, or he might be bored with shrimp and ready for some variety.

Archer is right--these things get HUGE, as you probably know. Before long you'll be throwing in whole lobsters...
Thank you! Yes I think I have been over feeding it possible. Iā€™ll try feeding it once today and see how it gets on, and I do get any of the food out straight away so it doesnā€™t mess up my water levels. I really appreciate your help though thank you so much

So are we Jekyll or Hyde today? It doesnā€™t matter. Either way, youā€™ve ā€œdone your researchā€ so youā€™ll know why you shouldnā€™t feed King Prawns to fish.

Last edited:
So are we Jekyll or Hyde today? It doesnā€™t matter. Either way, youā€™ve ā€œdone your researchā€ so youā€™ll know why you shouldnā€™t feed King Prawns to
So are we Jekyll or Hyde today? It doesnā€™t matter. Either way, youā€™ve ā€œdone your researchā€ so youā€™ll know why you shouldnā€™t feed King Prawns to fi
So are we Jekyll or Hyde today? It doesnā€™t matter. Either way, youā€™ve ā€œdone your researchā€ so youā€™ll know why you shouldnā€™t feed King Prawns to fish.
Enlighten me then please, and then Iā€™ll explain what research I have done

Enlighten me then please, and then Iā€™ll explain what research I have done
Theyre de-shelled, gutted, cleaned and isolated from any other food products. Theyā€™re defrosted and are cut up into small pieces before they are put into the tank. Please donā€™t take that tone with me, there is just no need. I even asked if we could be friends yesterday.

You took it with me for giving you the advice you asked for. It works both ways.
You said that Iā€™m keeping an illegal fish? Which Iā€™m clearly not. My father works for trading standards and I have notified him of all of this.

It wasnā€™t from pier aquatics either, you seem like a very angry man whoā€™s clearly very passionate about fish. I would suggest that you turned that passion into something positive rather than putting other people down who you see as less knowledgeable or lack experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back