Red Streaked Barbels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JustKia

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One of my peppered corys has developed red streaking through her barbels.
What can I treat this with (needs to be shrimp safe)?
All other corys are fine.
Affected cory is "normal" in all other ways - not skinny or fat, fins aren't clamped, she is eating normal, pooping normal.
Water stats are ammonia 0; nitrite 0; nitrate 10.
Substrate is sand (argos playsand, has been in since beginning of year, ie not a new addition).

I've been using pimafix and melafix since I posted this in the cory forum on 2 Sep.
I've had no replies there, hoping I might get some in here.
The streaking hasn't become any worse, but also hasn't become any better either.
She's still eating fine, etc as above.

are the rest of the fishes in ur tanks fine other than the cories?..water stats good? is the cory fine except for the red streak? if yes, then i wouldn't worry too much IMO

Hi JustKia :)

Red streaking could be a sign of septicemia, a bacterial infection. He might have got it from improper water conditions or through an injury. Since I see from your other thread that you have a sand substrate that shouldn't have been a problem. Just be sure to stir it a bit when you do your water changes. It might be a good idea to look at the barbels of your other corys to see if there is any shortening or other damage. Other possible problems might be aggressive tankmates, insufficient oxygen or uneaten food on the bottom.

This is a serious problem so isolate him if you can. Lowering the temperature and increasing the oxygen content of the water might help too. If you were in the US I would suggest Kanamycin or Tetracycline, but since you are in the UK, get a good antibacterial medicine. Perhaps one of our UK members can suggest one that is safe for your shrimp.

I hope he recovers soon.

All the other corys are doing fine. Remember Al? He of the almost non-existant barbels? Even his are nice and long and healthy looking.
Sand gets stirred up at each water change (and constantly turned over by the trumpet snails lol).
I'm now wondering if it might be injury related - the corys do like to make like a little rocket to the surface every once in a while, then gently back down. I have a lidded tank and I swear I'd have had at least one cory on the floor by now if I hadn't.
I saw one do it this afternoon and that got me thinking if maybe that could be the cause?

Water stats stable as per first post.
This cory still has red streaked barbels.
There are absolutely no signs of red streaking on other fish.
This fish shows no other signs of problems - just red streaking in her barbels.
She's still eating good, acting normal, no signs of wear or erosion of barbels.

I tried pimafix and melafix to begin with - no change.
I've given a course of Interpet Anti-Internal Bacteria meds - no change.
Should I try another course of the Interpet Anti-Internal Bacteria meds?
Should I try some other treatment?

myaxzin - got rid of it in my corys - safe with shrimps etc - good meds 5 day course works well :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back