Red Spotted Newts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jr10

Reaction score
I got a red spotted newt on Friday. I think he is really small and I think he is still an eft. I have tried feeding him pinhead crickets, frozen bloodworms, papaya chunks, and sinking micro-pelets. He has not touched one thing. Does anybody know why or anything else to feed him? Also, yesterday I went to check on him and it seemed like he was dead. He was not moving at all, was floating upside down, and looked like he was dried up. Then, a couple of hours later, I went to get rid of him an he was alive andmoving again. Is this normal for newts/efts? If nybody can help me out please do so. Thanks.

Your in New Hampshire as well? I find efts all the time. They usually dont eat in captivity. They do best in the wild. If you want a pet salamander, how about a Spotted Salamander? Much rarer, but i had one as a oet for a good year.

I actualary found him in a pool in georgia. I kinda figured that the chlorine was going to kill him so I was going to nurse him back. Then I liked him so much and now he has a tank. So you suggest letting him go?

Sorry, you dont havean Eft.they only live in New Hampshire. Letting him go would be best. :good:

Is there anyway that you can post a pictre of an eft.

Heres some that i found. Not very clear, i will get a better one next time it rains.

cac29d53.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly what he looks like.

I wnder what he is doing down here

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jmrisnear/9b4f0502.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1[/img]

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jmrisnear/9b4f0502.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1[/img]

There's a link so you can see him. I think they look the same but I could be wrong

You have a red spotted newt, and i just found out they live in georgia too. :good:

Yes, you should just realease hm in the woods.

That's good then there's a little creek out in my backyard. Should I release him with the food I bought or just keep it? Because it looked like he was a newborn when I got him. He was about the size of a quarter.

Nah just realease him near the creek and he should do great. When it rains, you may even see him again.

Ok, thanks, and do you have any idea of what he was doing when he was "dead"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back