Red Shoulder Severum

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DawnMichele

Reaction score
Hello. I just got a Red Shoulder Severum for my 55. He is by himself & It has 2 Penguin 350 filters on it & I do 50% water changes every week. Will he be OK in the tank?

how big is the severum?
what about putting it in with the Oscar or is it too small?

Hi Colin. The Severum is about 5 inches. I think its best my Oscar stays alone. You don't think I should have the Severum in a 55? I was thinking about a Blue Acara.

Last edited:
the severum should be fine in a 55 gallon tank but I was thinking your Oscar might enjoy some company. Obviously you would have to watch them if you do add any fish to the Oscar tank but they are relatively peaceful even tho they are a predator.

I found when keeping NW cichlids the more the better. 2 was NEVER good an oscar and a severum alone in a tank could be war. You never know but I would not do it unless you have a 100Gal and other south american cichlids to level the aggression out. Each cichlid has it's own personality so if you know your oscar is a bully I think leave him alone.

Severums are my Favorite. The only reason I stopped keeping them is because I like planted tank. I miss mine. Someday I will get one again. Anyways depending on your Severums temperament a blue acara would work they tend to stay low in the tanks and Severums are mid level swimmer. I kept my Severum with a blue acara years ago no problems. I have an electric blue acara now with Discus and it is fine they keep to them self.

Most reactions

trending

Back