Red mosaic dumbo ear Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hf21

Reaction score
Hi all, I keep seeing red mosaic dumbo ear guppys in shops but only ever males. This may seem a stupid question but is there a female version? If not how do you breed the red mosaic dumbo ear strain?

There is a female counterpart, but you can only really find them online. most fish stores just sell assorted females not certain breeds, unless they sell pairs.

It doesn't matter where you live but commerciallywise you won't find matching females at an average lfs. But yes, the females are available for sure. The stores overhere which do sell them, get their guppies from private breeders and not from a wholesaler. Therefore, the females are available overhere.

I've been to a couple of wholesalers and they have tanks full of those males but big ear ( = dumbo ear) females hardly till none.

This is a big ear female:
IMG_2581.JPG

Note: there are females with large pectoral fins but also with smaller clear pectoral fins. And large peactoral fins can be clear as well. So, not always dark. The female shown above belonfs to this kind of big ear guppy as shown below:
IMG_2587.JPG

Big ear guppies come also in a variety of colors and patterns.

But if you're not able to find big ear females, a virgin or clean dragon female can also be used. For in the F1 there will already be a percentage of big ears. Needs some culling of course. But it would be start.

I've stopped keeping big ears. Needed some space for new projects.
Below: Also a nice looking roundtail magenta big ear.
IMG_2614a.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back