Red ludiwig reopens

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lady Di

Reaction score
Hey y'all!! New to planted tanks, but very excited about it!! I can not keep a house plant alive for the life of me lol so I really want to get this right.
In my 55 gal, I have anubias nana, java fern, java moss, Amazon swords, red ludiwig reopens and mermaid weed. I know the javas and anubias will do okay with out ferts but Im not sure about the ludiwig and mermaid weed. I have Flourish root tabs and add them once a month. Im wondering if I need a liguid fertilizer, if so which one is the best? I'm very nervous about putting stuff in my tank that could potentially harm my fish. Thanks in advance for all the advice!!

Hey y'all!! New to planted tanks, but very excited about it!! I can not keep a house plant alive for the life of me lol so I really want to get this right.
In my 55 gal, I have anubias nana, java fern, java moss, Amazon swords, red ludiwig reopens and mermaid weed. I know the javas and anubias will do okay with out ferts but Im not sure about the ludiwig and mermaid weed. I have Flourish root tabs and add them once a month. Im wondering if I need a liguid fertilizer, if so which one is the best? I'm very nervous about putting stuff in my tank that could potentially harm my fish. Thanks in advance for all the advice!!
Hi! Sounds like a lovely tank! I personally have red ludwigia in my 55 gallon tank with a ton of amazon swords. I use flourish root tabs scattered under the plants, mostly aimed toward the swords, and the ludwigia does great. Mine are doing great without liquid fertilizer, though I am considering starting liquid fertilizer, to see if there is much difference. I tried red ludwigia when I had low light and it failed miserably, but now I have a nicer light and it is doing well.

Edit: Also, WELCOME from a fellow member from Virginia!

Hi! Sounds like a lovely tank! I personally have red ludwigia in my 55 gallon tank with a ton of amazon swords. I use flourish root tabs scattered under the plants, mostly aimed toward the swords, and the ludwigia does great. Mine are doing great without liquid fertilizer, though I am considering starting liquid fertilizer, to see if there is much difference. I tried red ludwigia when I had low light and it failed miserably, but now I have a nicer light and it is doing well.

Edit: Also, WELCOME from a fellow member from Virginia!
I was thinking about starting Seachem Flourish, I have had the bottle for over 2 months and still debating whether to use it. Thank you 😊

I was thinking about starting Seachem Flourish, I have had the bottle for over 2 months and still debating whether to use it. Thank you 😊
Glad I could help! It doesn't seem like the flourish could hurt, so long as you follow the directions!

Glad I could help! It doesn't seem like the flourish could hurt, so long as you follow the directions!
Hello, i use flourish and it helps a lot
duckweed covers the tank in like 3 days

Hello, i use flourish and it helps a lot
duckweed covers the tank in like 3 days
I've been reading aboit floating plants, I don't want one that will over take the tank. How do you like the duckweed?

I've been reading aboit floating plants, I don't want one that will over take the tank. How do you like the duckweed?
if you're careful enough and use the straw method that creates little sort of livestock pens for the duckweed(ill explain) they wont grow out of control

also if you dont use liquid fert it is totally fine without, it just is way lusher with the liquid fert

personally i reccomend it because it deletes all the nitrogen and ammonia and stuff out of the tank

other better options would be some red root floater(super hardy)
and water lettuce(kinda delicate)

take straws, smash one side of the straw flat, and then fold that in half to create a "sharp" end. insert that into the hole of another straw, get the head of the straw and repeat until you have a good shape

reccomend bendy straws but normal are ok.
squares and triangles are the best shape
look for the translucent green straws, those look invisible amongst the duckweed

duckweed is very known for getting everywhere very fast, unless you create plant corrals like Sgooosh said! Floating plants are great though, they help a lot with water purity and such. Frogbit looks very nice, but isn't as small or invasive as duckweed!

duckweed is very known for getting everywhere very fast, unless you create plant corrals like Sgooosh said! Floating plants are great though, they help a lot with water purity and such. Frogbit looks very nice, but isn't as small or invasive as duckweed!
my duckweed corral turned into a planting bed
i put some succulents, maple trees, and some little bean trees in there
i hope ill get some mangroves going

I have frogbit in my main tank. The individual plants are quite large so it's easy to grab a handful to remove them from the tank if they take over. I have red root floater in my shrimp tank - not as big as frogbit but still easy to remove. I also have duckweed in my tank which either appeared spontaneously or there was a tiny bit caught up in the last plant I bought. I am having great difficulty getting rid of it :( Miss just one leaf and it's back again.
Frogbit has long roots which my pearl gouramis like to swim through. Red root floater has short roots, and is ideal for nano tanks.

if you're careful enough and use the straw method that creates little sort of livestock pens for the duckweed(ill explain) they wont grow out of control

also if you dont use liquid fert it is totally fine without, it just is way lusher with the liquid fert

personally i reccomend it because it deletes all the nitrogen and ammonia and stuff out of the tank

other better options would be some red root floater(super hardy)
and water lettuce(kinda delicate)

take straws, smash one side of the straw flat, and then fold that in half to create a "sharp" end. insert that into the hole of another straw, get the head of the straw and repeat until you have a good shape

reccomend bendy straws but normal are ok.
squares and triangles are the best shape
look for the translucent green straws, those look invisible amongst the duckweed
Thank you so much for this, weekend project!!
I know the bottle of Flourish has directions on them but a whole capful just feels like a lot to me. I've also read to double dose the first time and to do it right after a WC...maybe its the double dose that really makes me nervous lol.
I bought my Angelfish, Lady Di, at a chain pet store. She looked horrible, fins were all tore up and fuzzy spots on them. I felt terrible for her (not really sure if it's M/F lol) nursed her back to health and now shes loving life in the 55 gal. I would hate for something I add to harm her. My question is, do I really double dose and a capful everyday after that? Thanks a bunch 😁

I know the bottle of Flourish has directions on them but a whole capful just feels like a lot to me. I've also read to double dose the first time and to do it right after a WC...maybe its the double dose that really makes me nervous lol.
I bought my Angelfish, Lady Di, at a chain pet store. She looked horrible, fins were all tore up and fuzzy spots on them. I felt terrible for her (not really sure if it's M/F lol) nursed her back to health and now shes loving life in the 55 gal. I would hate for something I add to harm her. My question is, do I really double dose and a capful everyday after that? Thanks a bunch 😁
I would not double dose, just one dose should be just right, then following the directions after each water change. Lady Di sounds lovely, I’m so glad you were able to save her!

Liquid fertilizer if over-dosed can cause serious algae problems. The Flourish Tabs cannot because they release nutrients that are taken up by the plants roots in the substrate. Obviously substrate tabs will not do anything for plants like floaters or those not rooted in the substrate. I use FT and the liquid, and have for over ten years now.

The directions for Flourish Comprehensive Supplement are 5 ml [= 1 capful] for 60 gallons (250 liters). You can work this out for lower numbers/smaller tanks. In my 40g which is only around 30 actual gallons when you factor in the substrate and wood/rock, I dose 2.5 ml of FC which is half the 5 ml. I use a 2.5 ml kitchen measuring spoon, or you can use a medicinal dropper that has ml marked on the glass. I would start off with one dose, and give it a few weeks to become obvious. You are right to not want more additives going in the water than necessary for the sake of the fish. Plus, too much and algae will take advantage.

Nutrients come from feeding the fish and water changes. The FC is a supplement, as the name makes clear, to provide what may be lacking or insufficient from the natural nutrients.

agree with @Byron
i do it every week and my plants like that
i do one cupful for my 75g( most of it is sand and rocks lol)
my fish are happy
some dumb ones eat it while i pour it in, try to avoid them since it is probably not good to eat heavy metals

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back