Red Gills

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Smells a bit fishy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Right I have just got back from work, and I thought I would check on my fish as you do. My larger tank is fine, went to the smaller one, it's had it's lights off all day and it's 1am here. Most of the fish were laying on the bottom or amongst the plants, I thought that was a bit strange, but thought they may just be tired an I've just woken them up by turning the room light on, so put a little bit of food in to see if they lightened up and they did a little. Whilst I was watching them feed I noticed that my 3 killifish and 1 platy had red gills, this is the first time I had noticed it.

I did a 50% water change yesterday on both my tanks as they hadn't been done for a week and half and the nitrates were a little high 80-100 ppm. Ammonia and nitrites were 0.

I did another test tonight as I suddenly asked myself did I dechlorinate on this tank, but both ammonia and nitrites are 0.

Any other ideas why they could have red gills? Help is much appreciated as always :)

low levels of oxygen in the water can cause red gills. is there enough water agitation/circulation in the tank?

Yeh there is I think, I can raise the level of the internal filter a little more.

I've just remembered in my infinite wisdom, of not getting enough sleep, and waking up late and in a rush, I sprayed deodorant in the same room as the tank, could this be the reason? I never do that, or let anyone else do it anywhere near my tanks, I normally go downstairs and spray!! AAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!

if you look at your fish on a regular basis, and have made no changes to the tank with regards to water circulation and surface agitation, and this is the first time you noticed the red gills, then it could be the deodorant. if that is the case, larger tank would be fine because of the larger volume. opposite for the smaller tank. if you're really concerned, you could do a large water change to dilute any spray that made its way inside the tank.

The larger tank is in a separate room, well next to it, and yeh I check them everyday when feeding them, as that's the best way I feel to get a good look at them, as they aren't hiding lol. I havn't done anything else to the tank apart from that, and doing a 50% water change yesterday.

I can't do a water change now, but I will look at them first thing in the morning, and probably do a 90% water change if things havn't improved.

Thanks for your help :)

I thought that first, hence why I tested, ammonia and nitrite are 0 and have been for about 2 months maybe a bit less, so its not that, as primagen said, it is more than likely to be deodorant that is causing it

maybe you could try putting an airstone in. killies spend a lot of time at the top of the tank for oxygen so they probably are getting enough air. are any fish at the top gasping?

No, none of the fish are gasping, the tank has been set up for 2 months apart from the usual beginners mistake of filling up the tank, and adding fish, this is the first problem I have had, I havn't changed anything in the tank for the last month and all has been all good. I don't think its an oxygen problem, but I have adjusted the internal filter, just in case.

The killis are swimming around in the middle of the tank, platies at the middle-bottom, and some glass bloodfin tetra at the middle-top, hope this helps :)

Yeh it is, I have checked them twice today, all acting normal and all feeding fine, I will continue to check until the red has gone.

Thanks for your help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back