Red Finned Chalceus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
Alrite guys,

one of my red finned chalceus has jus been swimming round in circles since sunday morning.

if anyone knos these fish then they dont really swim around much unless there shocked and even then they jus shoot to the other end of the tank.

it seems like his swim bladder is damaged or something because if he stops he kinda sinks.

he seems slightly bent upwards tho so i think it mite be more serious but he was like this for a lil while before sunday.

theyre always smacking themselves on the lid so i dont kno if this caused it but does anyone kno what i can do to cure it??

tank readings are as they should be and have been for about 6 months so i dont kno what it is or what to do.

anyone had anything like this?

EDIT - hes now sat in my net in the tank because he keeps trying to rest on the heater and my oscar trys to eat him (he would eat anything if it sat still long enough) even tho the chalceus is bigger!

hopefully the net will let him rest and keep him safe and not totally freak him out!

Its very likely it has damaged itself while in a panic, Chalceus are very nervous fish (as you know) and will hurtle around the tank banging into objects and smashing themselves against the glass and hood. A while in seperation may show an improvement but if it hasnt recovered within a day or so i'm afraid there is very little you can actually do. If the fish survives but has deformities you are left with the option of creating a "special needs" tank where it will have to be the only fish to avoid being picked on or euthanising the fish :(

Its very likely it has damaged itself while in a panic, Chalceus are very nervous fish (as you know) and will hurtle around the tank banging into objects and smashing themselves against the glass and hood. A while in seperation may show an improvement but if it hasnt recovered within a day or so i'm afraid there is very little you can actually do. If the fish survives but has deformities you are left with the option of creating a "special needs" tank where it will have to be the only fish to avoid being picked on or euthanising the fish :(

think thats what it is :no:

they do hit the hood with quite some force quite often so im kinda suprised they havent done it before.

i already have a "special needs" black moor that cant swim right so mainly jus sits there till i put food in. hope he gets better!

dont think a tank of his own would do any good at the moment, he jus cant stay at the surface like they do. ill leave him in the net but hes slumped in that (probably knackered from swimming the last 2 days) so it doesnt look good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back