April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I went to my LFS last weekend, which luckily for me is ThatFishPlace :cool:
I found a Red Fin Waspfish :drool: but I couldn't afford him so I figured I would research the species before picking him up this Friday.
There isn't much info on them out there and since this is the most expensive fish I have ever purchased, I want to make sure I know everything I can about them.
Has anyone ever kept this species or a similar one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Heres a picture of the Male Red Fin Waspfish.

waspfishpretty700.jpg

waspbegging700.jpg

Did you end up getting this fish?

I do not, and don't know of anyone, who has personal experience with this fish. All I know is that they are apparently very picky eaters and do not take to frozen foods well. And they are venomous.

Yes, on friday I picked him up as planned.

They had another specimen this time, which was full grown (around 4 in.) which was a lot bigger than the original one.
The smaller one looked a lot more colorful, so I asked if he ate frozen foods.
The lady didn't know so she put some frozen mysis in the tank.
He slowly swam toward the mysis and gulped down 4 or 5 pieces.
So I decided to pick the smaller one :hyper:

He is doing pretty well so far. He ate a nice amount today, with gusto.
I will post a picture of him tomorrow!

I;ve kept two waspfish in a brackish tank and they were perfect inhabitants
active in their unusual way and easy to feed, hunting pieces of mysis and attacking them
Brilliant fish wish I had the oppurtunity to get anotherfor my brackish tank

Not sure if yours is full marine but its thesameshape as the waspfish I had just more colourful :good:

Yeah when I was trying to find information on my fish I found info mainly on a brackish species, Neovespicula depressifrons, is this the fish you had?

The Red Fin Waspfish is saltwater, and from what I have found on the internet, they are from southern Japan to the Philippines.

When I first introduced him to the tank he was very shy and mainly came out at night, but after 6 days now, he perches on the rocks near his cave all day, and eats A LOT.
I tried to find out what type of venom they had in their dorsal spines but no luck. I'm guessing the venom is somewhat similar to a Lionfish's.

Sorry for not posting a picture yet. I don't have a camera other than on my phone (which looks terrible) so when my dad comes up later this week I'll have him take a picture for me.

Nick

They are a scorpionfish, so I'm willing to guess it is very similar to a lionfish's as well.

Pictures :good:

thats the one I had Depressifons

cool fish and by the looks of things the marine one has more colour

Hey guys I finally got ahold of my dads camera to take a few pictures.
This is also with the new K2 Viper HOB Metal Halide fixture.
My Waspfish is doing very well. He likes to chill in his cave, poking his head out every so often.
He is eating frozen mysis and actually swims to the food now instead of waiting for it to come to him, haha

_DSC3476.jpg

Him curled up after eating, HAHA

_DSC3492.jpg

I just bought all the PVC I need to start my PVC project.
I am going to replace the vinyl tubing that I'm using to pump water to the display tank from the sump.
Wish my luck!

Nick

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back