Red-Eared Slider/Small Terrapin Care

sanasana

Reaction score
I plan on getting a red-eared slider or some similar terrapin, so wanted to do some research before that.
I've kept fish (comet & fancy goldfish, platys and tiger barbs) so have quite some experience there. I used to have a mud turtle as well, but it was quite a while back so a little rusty there.

> Is there any good, authentic article regarding red-eared slider or small terrapin care that any owner would recommend?
I've seen articles, but only after keeping fish myself did I realize how bogus some things are online.
So any article that gives the basics on area, feed, comfort, just general care of a terrapin. That would be really helpful.

> Is a 30×11 inches with a height of about 15 inches fish tank suitable for a terrapin (if its size is about 6-8 inches)? I saw online how the area should be size of terrapin multipled by 4 and height by 2. Not sure how accurate that is.

> Do terrapins bite hard? :lol:

Thanks in advance!

I have 2 RES turtles that I raised from babies (26 years old) and I keep them in a 20 gallon long by a bay window that faces south so they get plenty of sun and have a floating platform they can sit on. I have a kids pool for them in the summer. I hand fed mine when they were young, they do not bite hard. Snapping turtles do.

The link is worth reading. I didn't read all of the site but the fellow seems to know what he is talking about.

One major issue faced by pretty much every turtle owner is the size of tank. The linked info has a 4-foot 90g or larger for one turtle when it reaches maturity. I had a Red Ear Slider back in the 1980's. He (or she) began life in a 10g, graduated to a 20g in a year, and then after two years was housed in a 4-foot 55g tank. At that point I had to move cities and could not have pets so I gave him to a friend. They have a 40-year life span in captivity, so this is a life commitment; last I heard my former turtle is still doing well.

The tank must be large enough to have adequate water for swimming, and there must be a completely dry "land" type area where the turtle can bask under a heat/sun light. This should prevent shell softening which is a major cause of these turtles dying early.

I have 2 RES turtles that I raised from babies (26 years old) and I keep them in a 20 gallon long by a bay window that faces south so they get plenty of sun and have a floating platform they can sit on. I have a kids pool for them in the summer. I hand fed mine when they were young, they do not bite hard. Snapping turtles do.
:lol:That's lovely! So when I kept fish, I learned that aquariums shouldn't be placed in sunlight because some bacteria grow in the water that aren't healthy for the fish. That doesn't apply on turtles?

Here is a resource that I think you will find informative:
www.redearslider.com

Thank you so so much for this link! It is so clear and detailed. Brilliant work by this person. Studying all the information provided here. :lol:

The link is worth reading. I didn't read all of the site but the fellow seems to know what he is talking about.

One major issue faced by pretty much every turtle owner is the size of tank. The linked info has a 4-foot 90g or larger for one turtle when it reaches maturity. I had a Red Ear Slider back in the 1980's. He (or she) began life in a 10g, graduated to a 20g in a year, and then after two years was housed in a 4-foot 55g tank. At that point I had to move cities and could not have pets so I gave him to a friend. They have a 40-year life span in captivity, so this is a life commitment; last I heard my former turtle is still doing well.

The tank must be large enough to have adequate water for swimming, and there must be a completely dry "land" type area where the turtle can bask under a heat/sun light. This should prevent shell softening which is a major cause of these turtles dying early.

Thank you for all this. Good to hear your turtle's well ^_^ I currently have a 15g tank, but it's rather longitudinal since it's a fish tank. Is that suitable for a turtle or should I get another?
The thing about life commitment that hurts is when either of the two (turtle or the owner) die first :-( no worries with the care, just the eventual parting that makes me worry.

From the above given link I read that turtles less than 4" can't be sold. From what I saw on the Facebook page of the shop I intend to get the turtle from, they're very tiny, probably just 3 inches... :| What to do in such a situation where animal rights aren't well established in your area?

Thank you so so much for this link! It is so clear and detailed. Brilliant work by this person. Studying all the information provided here. :lol:

Thank you for all this. Good to hear your turtle's well ^_^ I currently have a 15g tank, but it's rather longitudinal since it's a fish tank. Is that suitable for a turtle or should I get another?
The thing about life commitment that hurts is when either of the two (turtle or the owner) die first :-( no worries with the care, just the eventual parting that makes me worry.

The standard 15g tank is 24 inches in length by 12 inches in width. This is fine for a couple years, but you will have to get the 4-foot tank in order to properly house a RES turtle beyond a couple years.

From the above given link I read that turtles less than 4" can't be sold. From what I saw on the Facebook page of the shop I intend to get the turtle from, they're very tiny, probably just 3 inches... :| What to do in such a situation where animal rights aren't well established in your area?
The 4" rule was enacted in 1975. Red eared sliders, as well as others, were being sold cheaply in huge numbers, primarily as toys for children. As such, children were sticking them in their mouths, and getting salmonella. Thus, the law.
Breeders continue to breed and sell baby turtles to hobbyists. "Scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes" are exempt, and some interpretations of the law has suggested that hobby breeding is exempt. Also, there is nothing in the law prohibiting the PURCHASE of turtles under 4".

Most reactions

trending

Back