Red Devil

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shelly_Otterkin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What is the min. tank size you could put a full grown Red Devil in? This would be with high filtration and bi-weekly water changes. I have a friend who is in the military and is being shiped out in a week. His girl friend has told him as soon as he goes she is getting rid of his devil and getting "nice fish"for the tank. He is vary upset about this but it is her house and she bought the tank. We are looking at everyones tank and trying to see what could be moved where and to whos house so we can save his fish until he comes home and is able to get his own set up. :/

What is the min. tank size you could put a full grown Red Devil in? This would be with high filtration and bi-weekly water changes. I have a friend who is in the military and is being shiped out in a week. His girl friend has told him as soon as he goes she is getting rid of his devil and getting "nice fish"for the tank. He is vary upset about this but it is her house and she bought the tank. We are looking at everyones tank and trying to see what could be moved where and to whos house so we can save his fish until he comes home and is able to get his own set up. :/

He really needs to dump that girl.. Not gonna comment anymore on her. Anyways, a RD needs atleast 100g to himself.

Would setting him up in a 100 gal stock tank (gaint bowl for cows to drink out of) with a couple heaters and filters work? You would not be able to see him well but if you set it up just like a tank with rocks and wood. I know we would have to net the top as this boy is a jumper.
As to the girl....... :angry: :grr:

You could get away with a 75 gallon, but he would probably be happy as a jolly roger in the stock tank. Get him a mate and throw them in there! My Red devil is in a 77 gallon with an oscar pair, an asian red-tailed cat, a tinfoil barb, a plec, and a JD. The cat and the oscars keep him in check.

-Lynden

for the previous post.
your tank is way overstocked. a minimmum for a single orcar is 125 gallons (but you could get away with a pair in a 125.) a tinfoil barb needs a 100 gallon. your red tail catfish...foo, you need something like a 1500 gallon tank, these felles can grow to be 4foot long!!!! you plec, if common can grow a fair size aswel.
a pair of jd would only be suitable in this tank!!!!!!!
Dany

At this time the Red Devil is in a 180g and has killed every thing they have ever put in the tank. :crazy: Up to and including another Red Devil 2x his size when he was just gotten. He has a habit of ramming tank sides to kill you as you walk by. This is one resson along with cost we are looking at putting him in a stock watering tank. He will have to live there for at least a year. We have no idea how long the owner will be over seas. Anyone else think we will have a problem with this? We are running out of time to save him.

I think that would work just fine, Shelly :nod:
As for you, ChestnutMoray55... well, I think you know how practically ever member here feels about your tanks. The thought scares me.

Dany -- The minimum recommended for an oscar is 75 gallons, not 125... it's 125 for a pair :)

Great! Thank you. I will talk to him in the morning and we will get the stock tank to set up. His parents have told him he can put it in there house. I will be helping them with the up keep until he gets back. We are going to swip the gravel, rocks, heaters and filters frm the girl friends house when she is gone one day. :hey:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back