Red Claw Crab

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HannahMonster

Reaction score

I was thinking about getting 2 rec claw crabs and i dont know what to do! Can some one help me! :-(
I need to know..
Water Conditions
Food
Tank Set-up
And anything else you guys can tell me!

Thanks,
HannahMonster :good:

They need brakish water and access to land. If you are thinking about adding them to a community aquarium then they are not at all suitable.

They need brakish water and access to land. If you are thinking about adding them to a community aquarium then they are not at all suitable.
What does brackish mean? The lady at Petsmart said that they do not need any aquarium salt in the water or anything, just to treat the water with betta conditioner. So i dont know what to do.
What food can i feed them like fruits and veggies? Please tell me anything you know!!!!

Plus i need to know what brand of aquarium salt i should ues if i need the salt and what brand of food i can have for my crabs! :good:

Thanks,
HannahMonster

Brakish is somewhere between fresh and marine conditions. So they do need salt. And they are primarily land creatures, so keeping them in a regular aquarium will drastically reduce their lifespan.

Unfortunately the woman at petsmart has not given you good advice.

Brakish is somewhere between fresh and marine conditions. So they do need salt. And they are primarily land creatures, so keeping them in a regular aquarium will drastically reduce their lifespan.

Unfortunately the woman at petsmart has not given you good advice.
So what brandsofsalt should i buy?
And what other treats could i feed them?
What salinty does it need to be and does it need a ph balance meter?

Please answer ALL my questions!!! :grr:

Sounds like you have them already? If so do they have access to land and what are the tankmates?

As for brand of salt, there are plenty that a marine stocking lfs will sell.

I am just going to get two crabs so they can keep each other company!
Do you know of anything else i can feed them? I alresdy have algae wafers for them.
What do i do when they molt?

No, I dont have them yet.
What salinty does the water need to be?!?
Would you just answer my questions?!?!?!?

Hannah, I'm sure none of us are masters with crabs so not all of us can answer all of your questions all at once. For example, all I know is that people I know use ADP aquarium salt. So, please be patient and we don't know all the answers. Google might also be a good place to find info :)

Hannah, I'm sure none of us are masters with crabs so not all of us can answer all of your questions all at once. For example, all I know is that people I know use ADP aquarium salt. So, please be patient and we don't know all the answers. Google might also be a good place to find info :)
Ok,you dont have to be mean about it! All i want to know is what salinty to keep the water at and if i need a ph tester!

Red clawed Crabs are a brackish crab. To achieve the correct salinity in the water simply add one or two tablespoons of Instant Ocean per gallon of water.

They can tolerate a variety of water conditions and hard water doesn't seem to effect them much. about a 6ph should do for them.

Be sure to keep them in a 70*F to 80*F tank that has 80% humidity, as they require the humidity to breath.

The water should be between 1" and 2" deep. Also provide a shallow dish of fresh water, as they seem to apriciate this once in a while.

The substrate should be either damp sand or peat moss which will support a burrow. The substrate needs to be at least 3" deep to allow them to dig down into it and molt. This is crucial, as they aren't able to molt successfully.

They can be fed shrimp pellets, fish flake food, and fresh fruit. They are not finicky, but variety is best for feeding them.

Red clawed Crabs are a brackish crab. To achieve the correct salinity in the water simply add one or two tablespoons of Instant Ocean per gallon of water.

They can tolerate a variety of water conditions and hard water doesn't seem to effect them much. about a 6ph should do for them.

Be sure to keep them in a 70*F to 80*F tank that has 80% humidity, as they require the humidity to breath.

The water should be between 1" and 2" deep. Also provide a shallow dish of fresh water, as they seem to apriciate this once in a while.

The substrate should be either damp sand or peat moss which will support a burrow. The substrate needs to be at least 3" deep to allow them to dig down into it and molt. This is crucial, as they aren't able to molt successfully.

They can be fed shrimp pellets, fish flake food, and fresh fruit. They are not finicky, but variety is best for feeding them.
Thank You TheShrimpGirl for finnaly answering my questions unlike two other people on this forum who could not read.
Anyway i bought some gravel for the crabs. Is this okay or should i get sand?

Thank You TheShrimpGirl for finnaly answering my questions unlike two other people on this forum who could not read.
Anyway i bought some gravel for the crabs. Is this okay or should i get sand?

gravel is be fine, as long as the pebbles are not to large.. usually the crabs like sand better; but isn't a must have, good luck with your crabs :)

...unlike two other people on this forum who could not read...

not every one knows about crabs. if people dont know the answer, then you can always google it. i would be nicer to people on here, they are just doing the best they can. its not their fault if they dont know the answers :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back