Red Cherry Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

halfbloodprincess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best tankmates were for Red Cherry Shrimp. I have had them before, but they were all eaten. I would love to have them, but I need to know what wont eat them. :)

Can you tell me, out of the fish I have, what fish ate the shrimp?

My fish:
black skirt tetras
neon tetras
gouramis
platys
corydoras
a red tailed shark
yoyo loaches
a pleco

Thanks!

I don't have first-hand experience with all the fish you listed, but I would have to assume it's one of the last three - the shark, loaches or pleco.

I have kept cherries with black skirts, platys and cories, so we could rule those out.

I believe plecos are herbivores, so I dont think it was him. When I first got the shrimp, one of my black skirt tetras attacked it. So we thought it may be them. I dont know though.

Red cherry shrimp are very small, the ones in red could of eaten them normally, while the ones in orange could eat cherry shrimp when they are shedding their skin.

black skirt tetras
neon tetras
gouramis (but depends on what type, there are loads of different gourami species and they can be very different)
platys
corydoras
a red tailed shark
yoyo loaches
a pleco(the same applies as with the gouramis)

I believe plecos are herbivores, so I dont think it was him. When I first got the shrimp, one of my black skirt tetras attacked it. So we thought it may be them. I dont know though.

Actually, most pleco's are omnivores and some are carnivores too. They usually will only eat dead fish/shrimp but if they are not getting enough protein in their diet (they can't live on algae alone), they have been known to go after slow moving fish. Even the "Algae Thins" that I fed mine contained 40-50% protein.

I agree with three-fingers except "a pleco" should have been in red also but the comment added afterwards clarified that some plecos would eat the shrimp.

The only way your tank would have a chance of having some survive is if it was very heavily planted or at least have several sections of thick growth plants like java moss where the shrimp could hide.... especially when they molt.

This page has a DIY shrimp cave which will also give the shrimp a hiding place from the fish. http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/...hrimp_ghost.htm

The gourmis were a gold gourami, and a fire honey gourami. The pleco is a clown pleco.

Most fish will eat cherry shrimp, mine live with galaxy rasboras, pygmy corys and ottos with no predation. Pretty much all the fish you list will eat them except maybe the corys.

so khulie loaches will eat them?

my guess is the red tail shark that ate ur shrimp, although its really take ur pick situation its anyones guess

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back