Red Bellied Piranha Severe Stress Or Worse?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

esoxereia

Reaction score
I have a red bellied piranha, I am not exactly sure how old he (or she) is, although i have had him approx 6 months and he is now about 3-4 inches long.
I recently had him and his tank moved to another area and although at the time he didn't seem to be suffering from stress, barring the fact that he went off his food, he is in a 3ft tank alone.

Since I moved him last week he has eaten nothing, and has turned almost completely white.
his temp is 22 degrees steady and has been since the tank was moved, i made sure i followed all the typical guidelines (use same water, same tank setup, etc etc. )
I can't tell you anything else right now as I'm unable to (I've been away and was stupid enough to leave him with my husband to take care of...he never told me until now that the fish was sick!)

He usually looks like this (this was in march, before i moved him his back was going darker and he had an almost full red belly, but i can't find that picture):
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/422768_3607413663824_1228158358_33608323_58516057_n.jpg
(17th March )

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561167_3976944781871_1228158358_33765415_1754143613_n.jpg
(may 4th after he'd been moved)

His water has been treated as normal with a PH balancer and aqua safe, I know it is caused by stress but i haven't the faintest idea what i'm supposed to do to fix this before it gets too severe. He's not used to such a bright environment, so it has been suggested to keep his tank partially or even fully covered for a few days and see if he changes.
He was inactive for a few days after the move but he is now happy to swim around. He has had live plants before but they were removed in Jan/Feb time and he has been fine, although he did acquire a few snails and i still find a few now but i remove them as soon as i see them. As i have just checked, he does have some orange on one side but it is only faint on his other side. I am hoping he does not die from this as he's my baby :)

Any help here would be really appreciated, even though i haven't myself been much help :/

He was transferred to the tiny tank for a couple of days as we had trouble with transport for his large tank and had to leave it to settle...
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/535611_3973280130257_1228158358_33763157_1657336030_n.jpg
This was may the fifth. At this time he was still eating.

And this is him now... after four days of me being away.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2em0toz.jpg

I read on another post;

4. Exhibiting general symptoms of unhealthiness like lethargy, heavy breathing, stops eating, losing coloration, etc - If you have had that fish for a long time, a possibility you may want to consider is old age. Many smaller fishes only have a lifespan of 2-3 years, and will exhibit these symptoms at the ending of their lives.

He had heavy breathing for a day or two but it settled once he was in his larger tank. He has a filter/pump that is perfect for his size tank and it is working perfectly, as is his heater.

It may be wishful thinking but as I'm typing this he is already starting to look a little healthier..
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/542467_4061516816119_1228158358_33808386_124358863_a.jpg
I normally change his water partially, once a week, ONLY more if needed.
I did a 60% water change just almost an hour ago and cleaned his filter, he has some color coming back but he's still really white.
I just don't want to bother him too much and stress him out more :/

Let me know if you need any other info {:

And i also just noticed his fins are almost completely gone...would this be a cause and also if so what do you suggest?

How did you clean the filter?

Have you had the water tested at all, and if so can you post the results? What is the 'pH balancer'?

1. Yes the fishes symptoms due suggest stress however i believe this is more likely due to wter quality problems than just the move. So;
2. Test the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Ammonia & nitrites should be 0 at all times, nitrates between 1-40. If your stats are different to this, then you have water quality problems (which will be important to find the cause of) and this is why your fish is stressed.
3. In the future, do not use any PH altering chemicals- these more than often do more harm than good. It is never a wise idea to alter PH simply for the sake of it.
4. Red Bellied Piranha's;
a. Grow to up to 12inches- not suitable for a 3ft tank. Being a small tank will stress him.
b. Are shoaling fish and should be kept with their own kind. Being alone will stress him.
c. Your tank seems to be lacking in decor. There should always be decor (robust decor in the case of piranha's) even if its just some plastic plants & rocks, so that he has somewhere to hide behind out of view if he chooses too. Being forced into the open on display 24/7 will stress him.

The fish is fine.

4. Red Bellied Piranha's;
a. Grow to up to 12inches- not suitable for a 3ft tank. Being a small tank will stress him.

May be so, he is seemingly quite happy at this current time and as we all know, piranhas are not blood thirsty killers, i "handle" him often and he will be moved before he becomes too big for his tank.

b. Are shoaling fish and should be kept with their own kind. Being alone will stress him.

He has been with his own and too many fights broke out, He constantly became worse off and is now alone.
He is also quite happy when on his own again, it seems. Considering;

A: He is either attacked by or he attacks other fish.
B: He is not overly shy or timid due to being alone.
C: Expert advice was forwarded to me a long time ago and he is kept beside another tank with various other fish in that keep him occupied. (Not constantly as i know this can also stress him)

The water was checked and has numerous times be found to be suitable for him.
I did find the main problem to be light. After a certain time when the sun goes down (or up) (...and no he is not kept near a window, but when the room starts to go too dark or too light his colours fade) When this happens, He likes to have half of his tank covered, so he has a choice of light or dark, etc.

c. Your tank seems to be lacking in decor. There should always be decor (robust decor in the case of piranha's) even if its just some plastic plants & rocks, so that he has somewhere to hide behind out of view if he chooses too. Being forced into the open on display 24/7 will stress him.

He does have a lot of hiding decor but due to his fin problem a lot was removed/moved to give him free space to get him swimming back in action and not get stuck, which has happened. *His fins have now grown back and he has most of his decor back as it was* His favourite is still the one he can't hide behind as he could when younger. Oh and also, Stated above, he has his periods where he is covered, and the room is rarely used so he's not really on 'display'.

I have had no problems since. Also to clear up any misreadings, I wasn't ignoring or arguing your advice, just trying to point out what i could that i find appropriate.

Thank you again!
:)

edit; had to point out before i am reminded *i know* piranhas are supposed to be difficult to transfer to new tanks, and therefore should be in their last tank from the date you get them. I also know that my fish, if not many others are used to being moved around, purely for the fact that this way there will be less problems later on if they need to be moved. They shan't be stressed for too long. This is tried and tested, so i am happy to move him and risk what i have to at a later date. I do not need badgering on this topic =]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back